Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

finder wont launch and desktop icons have disappeared

finder won't launch and desktop...
finder won't launch and desktop icons have disappeared
3/2/2010
Travis
Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer
If the following suggestions work, please let me know and you can Accept the answer (and if possible, leave positive feedback). If not, please DO NOT Accept the answer. Instead, let me know and we'll try some more things or I can refer you to another Expert who may be able to help you further.

First of all, I would suggest you run some general maintenance on the computer. It is an obvious square-one approach. I normally suggest this first because it is good practice plus if we dig too deep into a problem and simple measures could have repaired it in the beginning we'll be kicking ourselves later... This is going to be a long post so I suggest printing it out for your reference.

First let's reset the PRAM on the computer.
1) Shut down the computer.
2) While the computer is shut down, locate these keys: command (has an apple on it), option (sometimes called alt), P, and R.
3) Turn the computer on, then press and hold Command-Option-P-R before the gray screen appears.
4) Hold these keys down until you hear the startup sound a total of 3 times.
5) Release the keys.

Next, let's try a Safe Boot. This will perform several clean up procedures that may be affecting the machine's performance and startup.
1) Shut down your computer completely.
2) Start up the computer and immediately after the startup chime, press and hold the Shift key
3) Once the gray Apple and progress indicator appear, release the Shift key
4) Note: Startup will likely take substantially longer than normal (20 - 30 minutes is not unheard of)
5) In Mac OS 10.4 or later, you will have to login to your account, even if it normally does so automatically.
6) Shut down the computer.

Now let's check / repair the disk permissions. Although this doesn't fix all problems it is a great way to start when working on a machine, besides it often cleans up any other smaller problems you may or may not be experiencing.
1) Restart the machine.
2) Before you have opened any programs, go to Applications / Utilities / Disk Utility.
3) Run the "Repair Permissions" after selecting your Hard Drive from the list on the left.
4) Shut down the computer.
5) Restart, let me know the results. We'll go from here.
Travis
Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer
Travis,

Do I complete the above steps before I accept your answer and if I shut down won't I lose you?
Bookmark the page. You'll be able to return after you restart. Also, you should be able to return to Just Answer and log back into your account and return to your open questions from this or another computer.

Don't worry about accepting until we resolve the issue. I'm patient and would rather get your issue solved before you commit to an answer I've offered.

Good Luck!
Travis,

You have been very helpful--can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. I hope to talk to Travis again. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX now have Finder and desktop icons. Again, you saved the day!
Travis
Travis
Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer