Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My macbook says not charging when it is plugged in to the charger

and the charger is plugged...
My macbook says not charging when it is plugged in to the charger and the charger is plugged into the wall outlet. Also, normally a green or orange light will come on and now no lights are coming on on the charger.
3/2/2010
Daniel, Mac Genius
Hello, my name is Dan.
What model MacBook is it?
What version Mac OS X is on it?
Has the power adaptor been dropped or the cord stretched?
Is there any visible damage?
Not sure what, if any, of this information you can use:

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.1 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MB41.00C1.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.31f0
Serial Number (system): W8820BN80P0
Hardware UUID: 8DA14C84-F25F-5100-ACA0-A5367118D0DC
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

No visible damage and no stretching of cord. It did this once before, I cleaned around the magnet with a q-tip and it starting working fine.
Is there any way you can test with another power adaptor? A friend or someone you know that has a Mac like yours?
This is to rule out the MacBook or the adaptor.
If it is the adaptor then you need a new one. Not so bad.
If it is the MacBook it will need a new logic board because the power circuits are apart and parcel with the main board and aren't easy to replace.
It is 99% hardware and 1% software and since you have tried the quick fixes it doesn't look good.
What does System Profiler tell you about the Power?
This is one thing to try and that is resetting the SMC (System Management Controller), this can get corrupted and do something like this.
That explains how, what and why about this, just choose the method for your Mac.
This, hopefully, will fix it. Book mark that page in case you need it again.

So if resetting the SMC doesn't work then I'm just out of luck?
I know a couple people that have a macbook like mine but I couldn't get another one right away...
If the SMC does nothing then.....
The only other thing is a long shot and that is resetting the PRAM, a real long shot but worth a try (nothing from nothing leaves nothing).
Restart and hold down the 'Option', 'Command(Apple)', 'R' and 'P' until you hear 4 startup chimes then let go and let it load.
If you are very lucky it will have an effect.
If not, it hurt nothing.
Ok. I tried that - resetting the PRAM and no luck. I'm really frustrated...the computer is not even 2 years old. Thanks anyway for your help.
Do you have Apple care?
I would look here and see if it has been recalled.

Edited by Daniel on 3/2/2010 at 2:05 AM EST
I don't think mine is one of those...

Again, thanks for trying to help. I guess my next stop is the apple store.
Sorry, did what I could.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Daniel, Mac Genius