Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

My Macbook Pro froze and when I shut it down and powered it

Customer Question

My Macbook Pro froze and when I shut it down and powered it up I got nothing...a circle with a line in it.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
Hello, my name is Dan.
What that is telling you is it can't find any bootable system.
Doesn't mean it isn't there, just means it can't find it because there is something wrong with it or the drive it is on.
Dig out the install discs (the newest you have) and boot from that by inserting the disc, this can be done with the circle and line showing, if you give it a little time it may find the install disk.
If it fails to find it then restart and hold down the 'C' key until the Apple appears and let go.
After it boots then at the welcome screen will be a menu bar with Utilities, from the drop down menu select Disk Utility and do the following.
graphic

If it works and the drive is repaired then quit DW and the installer and restart normally.
Let me know the result.