Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

can not connect to wi-fi get message cannot connect to the

Customer Question
server on my ipod touch....
can not connect to wi-fi get message cannot connect to the server on my ipod touch.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mac
3/1/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Medic replied 7 years ago
Mike, Mac Medic
When do you get this message in Safari or what?
My Mac is running airport and I have a strong connection on on my mac and on my ipod touch. i am using a linksys router but i keep getting a message that cannot connect to the service. i have already contacted apple and they say that my wi-fi has a connection
I am asking WHERE are you getting this message?
I get the message when I try to open safari or go to any web page.
Does the inernet on the iPod work with anything, say iTunes?
no, it does not connect to the internet no matter what site I try to connect to.
Go to Settings/WiFi. Is your Network selected and does it have a lock and a little cone next to it?
no it does not have a lock it has a check mark next to Linkys with 3 bars
Click on the little arrow to the right and what does it say under DHCP?
it showing the ip address, subnet mask, router, dns, searh domains, and client id
Right, what are those numbers?
ip 192.168.1.101
subnet 255.255.255.0
router 192.168.1.1
dns 192.168.1.1
Go to the Mac that is working and go to System Preferences/Network/TCP/IP and tell me what those numbers are.
ip 192.168.1.100
subnet 255.255.255.0
router 192.168.1.1
no dns number
And that computer can connect to the Internet, right? Do you have the latest Firmware on the iPod? If not install it with iTunes, If so try turning it off and back on.
I do not know if I have the lates firmware installed. I just purchased by ipod 2 week ago.
Plug it in and open iTunes. Click on the iPod in iTunes and Check for Update.
There are no new updates.
Go back in to Settings/WiFI select your Network click on the arrow and then hit Forget this Network. Then try to connect to it again
I try it and I get a message that reads "Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding."
The desktop Mac connects to the inernet fine right?
yes I am currently connect via ethernet and I am also connect to airport
What computer is connected to Airport besides the iPod?
my mac but the enternet is running on the ethernet connection
I’m confused. You said earlier “My Mac is running airport and I have a strong connection on on my mac“. Now you say it is connected through Ethernet? Is any other machine successfully using your WiFi connection?
my mac is running airport and ethernet. I have airport so I can use my wi-fi to connect to my ipod. i am using the ethernet connection to connect my mac to the internet. Their are no other machines connected to my mac except my router.
So your router is a Linksys and it is not wireless, it is just plugged into the Mac? You are trying to share your Ethernet connection to your iPod through the Mac, is this correct?
No I am trying to connect to my ipod through airport connection. I was told by apple that if I have a router I can connect to wi-fi through airport
Is your Linksys router a wireless model?
Yes it is a wireless-g broadband router
Who setup the router?
I did. I am going to sign off know. I know my issue has not been resolved, but I think you should still get paid for your time.
I appreciate it but I’m sure we can fix it. You need to look at the settings in the router, make sure allow wireless connections is turned on and you should also turn encryption on so others can’t use your connection or see what you are doing.
I just don't have anymore time to troubleshoot
OK, good luck don’t get frustrated. You also can turn off Airport on the Mac you don’t need it if you are connecting through the router. It may be screwing things up.
Mike, Mac Medic
Mike, Mac Medic