Pat
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments
26638196

my itunes is locked and it wont open. idk why and i cant get

my itunes is locked and it wont open. idk why and i cant get to my itunes
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pat replied 7 years ago.
Let's try repairing your disk permissions. Click on spotlight (magnifying glass at the top right of the screen) and type "disk utility" without the quotes, then press enter. When you get into the program, click on your boot drive, its probably called "Macintosh HD". Then click "Repair Disk Permissions". After its done, quit Disk Utility and try opening itunes again.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it keeps saying "gathering disk information" with the wheel
Expert:  Pat replied 7 years ago.
Are you using this computer to talk to me as well or is it a different machine?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
same
Expert:  Pat replied 7 years ago.
If its still frozen, then you can force quit Disk Utility by hitting command-option-escape, then click on Disk Utility and choose "Force Quit".

What version of Mac OS X are you running? Do you have the OS X install discs handy?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the computer doesnt restart without disk one and i have a cd stuck at the moment so that's no help. i've already tried the disk and it wont fix the error. im taking my comp in on thursday. i put in the disk, it shuts down. then i turn it on again and then i press the "c" button until it opens the disk. the disk wont fix anything so i then go to the installer file and press restart, which then it does. really weird
Expert:  Pat replied 7 years ago.
I just realized you and I are talking on 2 different questions. Your computer is having serious problems and won't boot without the OS X disc. You probably need to reformat your hard drive and reinstall the OS. iTunes is a very finiky program, so I'm not that surprised that it is giving you trouble. If you are having the computer looked at shortly, I would just add iTunes not working to your list of problems.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the relaunch didnt fix the problem with the cd. but thanks for your help.