Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I am using a Mac Mini with OS 10.4.11. My printer is an HP

Customer Question
I am using a Mac...
I am using a Mac Mini with OS 10.4.11. My printer is an HP Photosmart 2575 All in One. My problem is that when I use Appleworks 6.2.9, and attempt to print via the word processor or drawing program, everything comes out blank. I do not know when the problem started. However, I did not have these problems the last time I printed out these same documents around March last year. The bug does not occur in other programs.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Mac
2/1/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer replied 7 years ago
Travis
Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer
If the following suggestions work, please let me know and you can Accept the answer (and if possible, leave positive feedback). If not, please DO NOT Accept the answer. Instead, let me know and we'll try some more things or I can refer you to another Expert who may be able to help you further.

First of all, I would suggest you run some general maintenance on the computer. It is an obvious square-one approach. I normally suggest this first because it is good practice plus if we dig too deep into a problem and simple measures could have repaired it in the beginning we'll be kicking ourselves later... This is going to be a long post so I suggest printing it out for your reference.

First let's reset the PRAM on the computer.
1) Shut down the computer.
2) While the computer is shut down, locate these keys: command (has an apple on it), option (sometimes called alt), P, and R.
3) Turn the computer on, then press and hold Command-Option-P-R before the gray screen appears.
4) Hold these keys down until you hear the startup sound a total of 3 times.
5) Release the keys.

Next, let's try a Safe Boot. This will perform several clean up procedures that may be affecting the machine's performance and startup.
1) Shut down your computer completely.
2) Start up the computer and immediately after the startup chime, press and hold the Shift key
3) Once the gray Apple and progress indicator appear, release the Shift key
4) Note: Startup will likely take substantially longer than normal (20 - 30 minutes is not unheard of)
5) In Mac OS 10.4 or later, you will have to login to your account, even if it normally does so automatically.
6) Shut down the computer.

Now let's check / repair the disk permissions. Although this doesn't fix all problems it is a great way to start when working on a machine, besides it often cleans up any other smaller problems you may or may not be experiencing.
1) Restart the machine.
2) Before you have opened any programs, go to Applications / Utilities / Disk Utility.
3) Run the "Repair Permissions" after selecting your Hard Drive from the list on the left.
4) Shut down the computer.
5) Restart and try to print from Appleworks again.

If the problem persists, before we go any further, I would suggest (a suggestion, not a requirement) you use a program like Carbon Copy Cloner (http://www.bombich.com/) to create a restorable backup of your Hard Drive to an empty USB External Hard Drive. This free program will make a mirrored copy of your hard drive in it's current state that you can go back to if things go south after the following changes. I do this personally before I perform any kind of install, update or major change to my system.

After you have a backup (if you choose to be safe), I'd first reinstall Appleworks. Since the issue is only occurring there, I believe it is an issue with the program rather than the printer. Let me know if you get to this point without a correction. We'll continue to troubleshoot.
The solution didn't work. I decided to just buy a new computer and a laser printer. The mini was (is) just over four years old and has gotten dreadfully slow. And the printer always seemed to kick up a problem every time I wanted to print. And when I print, I often need to do several hundred pages - which means that I've got to constantly nursemaid the thing. Plus I've heard all sorts of nice things about OS X Snow Leopard. Sorry to bother you.
No problem. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask for me by name.

I'd be honored to try to help again.
Travis
Travis
Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer