iteachmac
iteachmac, The Duke!
Experience:  Mac help ,music midi expert, logic pro recording ,electrical installation ,ilife & all mac computing
28671728

How do I connect my MAC computer to my friends wireless Verizon

Customer Question

How do I connect my MAC computer to my friends wireless Verizon DSL network
Category: Mac
Expert:  iteachmac replied 7 years ago.
Hi ,
I would like to assist your with this .

Please can reply and provide me full details of the computer , OSX version , Mac model number , part number , age , any additional extras like memory that was installed and the screen size of the imac or laptop if possible.

I need to know exactly what Mac you are using?

You can collect much of this info on the Mac via the Apple menu , About this Mac , More info .

-

If you are using OSX on a recent Mac :-

Join the wireless network .

1 Please open the Apple menu , System preferences and click on the Network control panel pane.

2 Click on Airport in the left column.

3 Turn on the airport.

4 Select your wireless Routers SSID name in the option "network name".
Enter your Routers wireless network password XXXXX needed.

5 Check on the option "show airport status in menu bar" .

6 Click advanced

7 Click TCP/IP tab

8 Select "Using DHCP" under the Configure IPv4 option.

9 Set Configure IPv6 to "Automatically"

10 Apply and close all control panels .

11 From the new top screen airport menu , check to see if your airport is connected .

12 If you see your routers SSID and it is not selected please select it and enter your routers wireless network password XXXXX

12 You should now be online .

I hope this helps.

Thanks .
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX wasn't able to connect to my friends DSL network. I do appreciate your help but was already that far along as it was... sorry for the trouble.
Expert:  iteachmac replied 7 years ago.
Please Provide symptoms ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I enter the password XXXXX get a dialog box saying "There was an error joining the AirPort network".
Expert:  iteachmac replied 7 years ago.
Hi ,

In this instance try choosing "Other..." from the AirPort menu and enter the network name and password XXXXX

1 If still no joy , go into your keychain (/Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access). For each of the keychains (the top-left box), select it and then choose Keychain Access -> Keychain First Aid and do a repair.

2 If that doesn't fix it, look in both your "login" keychain and the "system" keychain and delete all the keys whose kind is "AirPort Network Password". Then restart and try to connect.

3 It is possible that the router was set up with a MAC address block or filtering turned on . You MAC address would have to be added to the Allowed list in the routers config page .

4 You can find out your Apple Mac's MAC address by looking in Apple menu , about this Mac , more info , network list . airport . The MAC address will be displays as : " MAC Address: 00:14:51:db:68:a7" or similar. Add this address to the routers MAC address allowed list . or turn off MAC address filtering or MAC address control access within the routers config page .

Thanks i hope this helps .

Edited by iteachmac on 2/1/2010 at 3:54 AM EST