Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

How do I configure my printer to make it wireless Verizon

How do I configure my printer to make it wireless? Verizon helped me connect my Macbook to a wireless router, but I am unable to do the same with my new HP Photosmart C4680 printer/scanner.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Can you tell us what type of wireless router you are using?

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, it is a Linksys model #wrt160n v3. When the Verizon people helped me with my laptop, they had me download Foxfire and change some settings on the computer. However, I am still using Safari as my brouser.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

Do you know your wireless network name and password XXXXX we can join your printer to the network?

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, I think they are both Admin
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

Lets start by checking your wireless name and security.

can you open an Internet Browser such as Safari and type the gateway address in the following format http://192.168.1.1 then hit enter to open the routers login page.

When prompted type your admin username and password ( If you have not changed it just leave the username blank and enter admin as the password XXXXX if you cannot get in can you try admin for the username and admin for the password)

When you get logged into the router can you click the Wireless tab then make a note of your network name (SSID) then click the Wireless Security link under the Wireless tab and your password XXXXX security type should be listed so you can write it down and tape it to the bottom of the router in case you need it in the future.

Try that and let me know once you have the network name, security type and password.

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The Admin and Admin name and password XXXXX not allow me to get into the system. Neither can I get in by leaving the name blank. I have not changed anything since the setup. I will call Verizon to see if they will give me the name and password, then get back to you. Thanks so far. I want to make sure I get a piece of paper printed from wireless before I pay.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

No worries,

Just take your time and let me know so we can continue

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi. Now I'm totally confused. I found out that the name of my network is SSID. I was told that I don't have a password. I don't know if we are talking about the router or the modem. I was told in order to make my wireless secure, I have to get a password, and if I hook up my printer without one, I will have to go through the entire process again. Also, I would need another internet cable to make sure things stay connected while the changes are being made. I guess hooking up to the printer is not that big a deal, because I'm totally frustrated and don't have any more time to deal with this. I will try again later.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Ok,

If you would like me to give you instructions to try later or if you would like to pick this up later please let me know

If not let me know if you would like me to have this question closed for you

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'll try later.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

No problem,

Whnever you are ready to continue just come back to just answer and let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was unable to go beyond typing in the address. Therefore I am unable to configure my printer. I will try again tomorrow. If I am able to configure it, I will certainly pay for the suggestion. However, so far the suggestion does not work.
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

When you try tomorrow just let me know if you have any issues.

f the http://192.168.1.1 address does not work can you click the apple icon and then click system preferences and open networks and let us know what your ip address is.

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Claws224. I called Hewlett Packard for help. They helped install software, etc. Then we discovered that my printer is not wireless. Soooo, thank you so much for your time. You tried to help me in good faith, so I will pay you. Sorry I wasted so much of your time. Customer
Expert:  Claws224 replied 7 years ago.

Thanks,

I am just glad you got it all sorted out.

Hopefully next time we will be of more help

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Me too.