Pat
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments
26638196

I have a power mac G5 duel 2ghz late 2005. when i plug it in

Customer Question

I have a power mac G5 duel 2ghz late 2005. when i plug it in I get no lights. when I try to turn it on all I get is a single red light flash once and nothing. No noise no power on and no fans. Any ideas?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Pat replied 7 years ago.
There is a serious problem, possibly with the power supply. The red light comes on for a variety of reasons, one of them being no airflow through the computer. Since the fans don't come on, I believe there are only two possible problems:

1. The 12V rail on the power supply is dead. Solution: Replace Power Supply
2. The logic board has failed. Solution: Replace logic board

I believe you're going to need an authorized Apple repair center on this one unless you have access to spare G5 parts to test.

Just for kicks, did you try resetting the SMU?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I dont have a spare G5 so other than taking it to a repair center is there anyway that I can find out what the problem is? I dont live anywhere near a repair center for macs! Thats what sucks and thats why I came here to see if I can find an answer.
Expert:  Pat replied 7 years ago.
Sometimes things are just broken. Try resetting the PMU by pressing this button shown here in a picture in this link:

http://www.macusersguide.com/photo-gallery/powermac-g5-dual-2ghz/

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well thank you. I tryed that and nothing happened. still the same thing happened. There is I now noticed one yellow light on now by one of the ddr2 slots that does not have any ram in. I will make some calls tomorrow to see where I can take it in to see if anyone can figure out what the issue is. Thank you for your time and your refrence.
Sincerly, Mike
Expert:  Pat replied 7 years ago.
Which LED is yellow? This may indicate that the air deflector shield is not in place. See this article:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2652?viewlocale=en_US