Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have been trying to send email and respond to email on my

Customer Question
3g iphone and it keeps...
I have been trying to send email and respond to email on my 3g iphone and it keeps coming back saying invalid sender address. I think everything is set up right so not sure what to do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
1/7/2010
Mac Support Specialist: Pat, Mac Enthusiast replied 8 years ago
Pat
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Go into Settings>Mail>YourEmailAccount. Look at "Address". You should see your e-mail adress there complete with the @whatever.com. Does it look correct?
yes it says my address that I use for email
Its possible you are trying to relay e-mail through a server without providing proper authentication. What kind of e-mail account is this? Common types would be Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail, or e-mail from your ISP (comcast.net for isntance)?
i went in and reset all my info and turned on the wifi and think is working now.
Ahh, then I was correct. You need to set up SMTP authentication to be able to send when you are not on your own Wifi. If you go back into the account settings and click on "SMTP" under "Outgoing Mail Server" you'll find a list of servers, or perhaps one server depending on how your phone is set up. Click on the Primary server and look at the settings. Chances are, you need your e-mail address under "User Name" and your account password XXXXX there as well. I can't be specific because I don't know what type of e-mail account you are using, but I'm guessing its e-mail from your ISP.
Pat
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Pat
Pat
Pat, Mac Enthusiast