Pat
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience:  10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments
26638196

Netgear DG834GT - My Mac laptop has lost the wireless network

Netgear DG834GT - My Mac laptop has lost the wireless network and times out on rejoining? My desktop still has wireless network connection. What can I do to get back onto the wireless network "please"?

Hey gab!

Do you get high speed through the cable company? Or is it through the phone line/phone company.. DSL?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi, It is a phone (ADSL) line through DSL company - ( I did speak to them and they have checked the line and rebooted),

I can get on through ethernet cable - but still have not managed to access Airport connection - says connection failed or timeout (I created a new Name (SSID) to try connect to - no go)

Ok do you mind disabling security for now on the netgear and see if the mac connects. I want to rule out the router as the problem.

Here is how you view/change the password. (But I want you to disable it for now)

Let's login to the NETGEAR so you can view/reset your password.

Make sure you are plugged directly into the back of the NETGEAR into 1 2 3 etc. (this needs to be done from a computer that is directly plugged into the back of the NETGEAR, this will not work wireless)

Open your browser and go to address http://www.routerlogin.net/

For the username/ password...

username is admin

password XXXXX XXXXX

On the left pane click wireless settings and then security.. HERE is where you can turn OFF security and then connect from your laptop with no password.. or just retype a new password XXXXX and click save.. then type what you type there into your laptop to connect...

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK I have tried that - and just tried it again - but no luck - says connection timeout

Ok with security disabled and that mac still can't get on.. it definitely isn't the router.

Want me to forward this to the MAC forum?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
If anyone could solve (if they have come across before) that would help.

Are you sure it's not router, spoke to mac guy today and he says it might be.
(Don't understand though if my desktop is wireless and tested a second laptop and it saw network)

Sure I'll forward to the MAC forum.

Any router with security disabled means anything can connect to it without a password... IPODS, XBOX, Laptops, Desktops etc.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm baffled!: )
Let's try deleting the network preferences. Go into Finder and go to /Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/System Configuration and delete the following files:

com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
com.apple.network.identification.plist
NetworkInterfaces.plist
preferences.plist

Restart the computer and try reconnecting.
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Experience: 10 years of systems administration experience in mixed Mac and Windows environments