Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

I have an Imac and have made a mistake by overlaying a second

I have an Imac and have made a mistake by overlaying a second copy of Microsoft Office 2008.

1. Entourage now gives me an error message "This identity cannot be opened with this version of entourage"

2. Word and Excel now give me a message "Office might be unable to access the database or the database file might be damaged. Without the database you might be unable to use the Addressbook, Scrapbook, and other features that store your personal information. To rebuild the database, open Microsoft Office 2008 / Office and then open Microsoft Database Utility. For more information open the Database Utility Application and on the Help Menu click Database Utility Help.

I have an Apple Time Capsule attached to my computer. If I restore the entire system back to December 26 will this fix the problem ?? If so, how do I restore the entire system back to a previous date. I do not care if any data between the chosen date and today is lost.

Regards Alan
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

When you re-installed 2008, did you remember to do all of the updates BEFORE opening Entourage?

It is telling you the installed version is different. I suspect you need to just run the Check for Updates and get the install updated to where it was before.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did try to run all the Microsoft Autoupdates but the "Critical" 2.1.1 dated Feb 2008 just keeps looping. How do I get around this ?

Also, I would prefer to restore the whole system back to December 26, 2009 via my time capsule - how do I achieve this as I cannot find a clear answer via Apple web site

Regards

Alan
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

That is easy enough.

Go to the Applications folder on the Mac.

Have that window open and then open Time Machine from the Dock or the Applications folder. Not from the System Preferences.

TM will open into the Applications folder. Click on the date you want to restore from and then click on the Office 2008 folder.

Click Restore. It will replace the current 2008 folder with the older one.

Then try your apps again. See if that helps,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Tried and got the following error message

"You can't copy Microsoft Entourage because it has the same name as another item on the Destination Volume, and that volume doesn't distinguish between upper and lower case letters in filenames"

HELP

Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
Hmmmm.

It should just eplace it.

Try moving the 2008 folder out then run Time Machine. If it restores fine, trash the one on the Desktop.

Other than that I am out of ideas. The last resort would be to dump it completely by running emove Office from the Office 2008 folder and then do the Time Machine and restore or simply install new again and update fully before trying to open Entourage.