Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

I have an old LaserJet 4v hooked to a Mac 4400. The screen

I have an old LaserJet 4v hooked to a Mac 4400. The screen name for the printer was wiped out by a kid, so the printer won't print.
Can you tell me what the screen name for the printer should be?
Please let me know the Mac OS version do you have.

Thank you

Jhon Cappuccio
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The Power Mac OS is 7.6.1.
Hi.

The screen names are XXXXX XXXXX screen names. That's why we cannot know what is the good one.

I have checked the HP support site trying to find the Mac OS 7 driver, but it seems this printer has drivers for Mac OS 8, 9 and X. You can see that here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=15020&taskId=135&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=25483&lang=en&cc=us&submit=Go%20%C2%BB

Have you always used that printer with that Mac ?

Thank you

Jhon Cappuccio
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, this printer was working fine until one of the kids happened to click on the desktop and hit the name for the printer. Now the computer says that it can't find the printer in order to print.
I am out of ideas. I am opting out so any other expert can take your question. Good luck!!!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This doesn't seem to be a very difficult question. All I need to know is what should the printer icon say on the screen?
I am sorry but I don't understand the question. Can you explain it a little bit more?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay, Ihave been using an HP4V printer for years hooked up to an old Mac 4400. On the desktop under the printer icen is a name for that printer. A child wiped out that name. The printer won't respond to the computer because the printer isn't labeled correctly. I need to know what the label for that printer should be under the printer icon on the Mac desktop so I can type that in and use the printer once again.
The screen names are XXXXX XXXXX screen names. We can type anything when we install them, that's why we cannot know what is the good one.

I would try installing the Mac OS 8 driver for that printer. Please follow the directions:

1. Turn off your printer and unplug the USB cable from the computer

2. Download the new driver here:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=25483&prodNameId=15020&swEnvOID=1006&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=lj-29264-1

And click on the "Download" button.

When the download is over please run the file

3. After the new driver is installed please restart your computer

4. Turn on your printer and plug in the USB cable to another available USB port in your computer

Please keep me posted!

If you found my answer helpful please click the ACCEPT button, so I can get paid for my effort. Any bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Jhon Cappuccio
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
I don't want to mess up my system by trying to install a different OS driver.
There is a default label for the 4V printer which appeared when it was originally installed which I did not change. That's all I'm looking for. Why can't you get that info for me?

Just go to the Chooser in the Apple Menu and look at the printer name in there. It is coming from the Printer. That will be the correct name.

It also may be possible that the printer is NOT connecting and has nothing to do with the name. In fact John was right that the name means nothing on the Desktop. I can call that Printer Star Trek and it wioll still print to it.

Check the Chooser. When you click on LaserWriter it should show up if connected properly under the Appletalk/Ethertalk icon.

If not, it may have switched to the Printer/Modem port and that is why it is not seeing it.

This would indicate the 4400 needs a new PRAM battery (clock battery on logic board) because it may be forgetting settings now.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience: Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting