Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I am having trouble adding an Airport Express to my existing

Customer Question
Airport Extreme network. (I...
I am having trouble adding an Airport Express to my existing Airport Extreme network. (I am a Windows user). The Airport Utility (I am using the one that came with my Airport Extreme, don't know if that is the right thing to do) is asking me for the password XXXXX my Airport Express (ie the new device), but I haven't assigned a password XXXXX Help!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
12/1/2009
Mac Support Specialist: Pat, Mac Enthusiast replied 8 years ago
Pat
Pat, Mac Enthusiast
Try one of these:

admin
public
password
I already tried those.
Leave your Airport Express plugged in, press and hold the reset button until the LED flashes amber rapidly. Now keep the reset button pressed in for at least 10-30 seconds and then release. This should factory reset it and there shouldn't be a password, or it would be one of those 3.
Already tried that, too. No luck. I reset it in that way (and several other ways) and it still asks me for a password XXXXX I "Click Continue to set up this AirPort Express" and it does not accept any of these 3. When I enter the password XXXXX my existing Airport Extreme unit, it goes in to configure that device, but I cannot figure out how to get beyond the password XXXXX to configure my Airport Express.
Is this Airport Express brand new?
Have you tried downloading and installing a newer version of the airport utility? Here is the link:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/application_updates/airportutility531forwindows.html

My Express is brand new, bought it today.

I tried to update and it says that there are no updates; I am using the most recent version of airport utility (the one that came with my Airport Extreme, which I bought yesterday)...
Sorry, I've got no clue then. My suspicion is that the new airport express is defective. If you know someone who has a Mac, have them give it a try. Apple's products don't always play that well with Windows.
Pat
Pat
Pat, Mac Enthusiast