Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Okay, heres the situation. I have written a novel using Word

Customer Question
Okay, here's the situation. I...
Okay, here's the situation. I have written a novel using Word for Mac 2004. I am ready to send it to a publisher as a PDF file. But, every time I format the book and save it, the formatting is destroyed and I have to start all over. It has happened so many times I can't count. I was successful in formatting the margins for printing, using mirror image and setting up the specs for the inside and outside margins. The formatting is also corrupted when I make a PDF.

What happens is that my chapters are not where the should be. They bleed into other chapters, and sometimes blank pages are in between chapters. I don't know what to do.

I am not a geek, and Word's explanations are close to Swahili to me. I need to get this book on its way. Can you help?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
12/1/2009
Mac Support Specialist: MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:
• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6 or Mac OS X 10.4.11, etc" -)
( If not sure how to check version of Mac OSX system- Click on Apple icon (Apple Menu) on upper left corner of screen- from the menu select "About this Mac" - you will see your version in the popup window)

• What version of Microsoft for Mac are you using for your copy of Word? (version 2008 or 2004)

• Have you run all of the updates for the current version of MS Office for Mac -Word that you are currently using?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Regards,

-Terry
Mac 10.5.8. Version 2004. All updates updated.
Thanks for your updateCustomer

What you are experiencing here is a common bug found in the Microsoft Office for Mac 2004 version.

I have both versions and this issue was corrected with the 2008 version of Microsoft Office for Mac.

I am sorry for the delay, I am just looking over potential work arounds to resolve this issue.

What I do need to know if you would is, have you just starting having this issue with your novel using MS Office for Mac 2004 or did this just start occurring?

-Terry

Sorry not to get back sooner. I have experienced this problem forever, it seems. While writing the book, I noticed anomalies in formatting, but I didn't think it was important, believing I could correct it later. Word has virtually driven me crazy. I have a 110,000 word novel ready to publish, and Word is keeping me from doing it. I have to have a PDF to send to the publisher, and even that part of Word fails me in the same way. Question: I have ordered Word 2008. Can I transfer my book to that program? Thanks for your help.
Thanks for your replyCustomer

In the gentlest way, I was working to lead you in that direction. So I am so glad you have taken the initiative to purchase MS Office for Mac 2008. Yes indeed, it will work!

I have been able to go much further with my MS Word legacy documents from 2004 with MS Office for Mac 2008, especially in the formatting and the customizable options that were more advanced in 2008. What is so cool about Word version in MS for Mac 2008, is the fact that it will still allow you to save your documents in a wider range of formats including .doc and .rtf, - formats that are the standard in Word for MS Office for Mac 2004.

In essence, that is the only answer I had for you from the beginning, my hesitation came because you have taken such time to write your novel, I was taking extra time, just checking to see if maybe I could provide a workaround for you in Word 2004.

So I was coming to provide that suggestion for you to upgrade to MS Office for Mac 2008 and let you know it will recognize your novel, even in PDF format, it will just improve on the Word application's ability to hold the formatting as you set it, much better than 2004.

I hope this insight and experience has helped. If I can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to reply back to this post. And all the best on your novel, I hope it hits the stands in a big way for you!

Warmest Regards,

-Terry ("Mactechtrainer")

MacTechTrainer
Thanks for your help. I can always count on JustAnswer. The 2008 solved all the problems, coupled with a very good PDF editor (PDFpen). 2008 recognized my document immediately. Book should be launched very soon. Again, thank you.
Excellent, and thanks so much for the Accept! I again wish you all the best on your novel. And one more bonus for you, as a Mac user who is an aspiring novelist-

Check this new software I have discovered for Mac users called Scrivener.
Here is the link if you would like to take a look at this Mac software designed for writers, novelist, playwrights etc. Scrivener-Literature and Latte
It may be a valuable tool you can use as you write more in the near future, so I hope it helps.

We are always glad to provide the answers that will help you with your Mac technical needs. Thank you for using JustAnswer.com!

Sincerest Regards,

-Terry
MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer