Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I have a vertical white bar on my screen that Ive tried to

Customer Question

I have a vertical white bar on my screen that I've tried to get rid of with antivirus software but it says my computer is clean. sometimes at start up another vertical bar starts appearing but then fades away. Do you know how I can get rid of this problem? Thanks
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Hi am Ashik. I think i can help you

Could you please give me a screenshot of that bar ? (Press Command(Apple) + Shift + 3. This should create a screenshot of your Mac into desktop. Then upload that screenshot into here)
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
graphic
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Can't see the image..Upload the picture into www.rapidshare.com and paste the download/share link in here.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I took the screenshot and then opened it. It's not showing the vertical bar. Very strange. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
hmm...no vertical bar in screenshot ?? weird..!

Okay...try this;
Make sure that the computer is shut down. Press the power button. Immediately after you hear the startup tone, press and hold the Shift key. Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple and progress indicator. This will boot your Mac in safemode. (SafeMode looks like normal booting and its takes time to boot)

Then goto System Preferences>Accounts and click Login Items and uncheck or remove all unwanted intems.

Then goto ~/System/Library/StartupItems and delete all files inside the Startup items folder. (Don't Empty the trash)

Restart your Mac and let me know how it goes......

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok i did that but no go. the bar shows up even at login as soon as i turn on the computer. my kids have been pressing buttons on the keyboard. could they have set one of the special accomodations buttons?
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Not sure about it, i didn't heared about this problem. Okay...we can try few troubleshooting..

Run Disk Utility from the Installation Disk

• Insert the Mac OS X Install/restore disc that came with your Mac, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
• When you see the Spinning gear, then release the C key
• Once on the Installer screen, select Utilities/Installer menu and choose Disk Utility.
• Click the First Aid tab and select the hard drive icon displaying your Macintosh HD
• Click Repair disk and Repair Permission. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
• Once completed, quit Disk Utility
• Click on Installer Menu and reboot to your Mac Desktop
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
allright . i'll try that later. have to go now. thanks for your help.
Expert:  Ashik replied 7 years ago.
Okay..please let me know if that works or not. I have two more suggestion to try.

Best Regards,