Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I have an old Imac with Quick time 7.0.4 installed which plays

imported midi files via floppy...
I have an old Imac with Quick time 7.0.4 installed which plays imported midi files via floppy disc - on my other computer a little newer I have the latest version of Quicktime and it will not play these imported midi files but the legend appears the movie could not be opened Mac Os error 208 - Is there any method I can do to enable these old midi files to be played Stuart Hunkin
11/13/2009
Ashik, Mac Technician
Hi Stuart Hunkin, I am Ashik. I think i can help you

I think you can play those midi files with 'VLC Player for Mac'. So download and install VLC Player for Mac from here. Then open the midi files in it.

Best Regards,
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks
Dear Ashtik - thanks for your reply but I have been unable to get the midi files to play using VLC PLayer for Mac - the legend appears as follows No suitable decoder module for source midi - VLC probably does not support this sound or video format - unfortunately no ay to fix this . I am operating on Mac OS 10.4.11 and therefore have downloaded the VLC Player which I think is suitable for this format - have you any other ideas that I might be able to try - many thanks XXXXX
Hi Stuartt,
Just one question, did you tried to play midi files in iTunes ??

I hope iTunes can play them..

Best Regards,
If you can't play them in itunes, download these applications and try to play in it.

Download PlayMIDI 1.1

or

Download MightyMIDI 1.0

Best Regards,
Dear Ashik - sorry no luck with either itunes or the recommended download - PlayMIDI 1.1 indicated that it was not recognised and the MightyMIDI 1.0 indicated the OS Mac unexpectantly quit ! - any other ideas regards Stuart
Could you please send any one sample midi file to me. I will try it in my Mac.

(You can upload it into rapidshare.com and paste the links in here)
Dear Ashik - I will try and do as you request - the file is a midi file of a hymn played on a piano and made into a midi file by using a yamaha machine. These discs have been copied into my Imac and have always playerd on Quicktime 7.0.4. but when I upgarded with the new quicktime on my other computer the discs will not play - I did wonder if I could perhaps try and copy these files onto a CD using Roxio system and them place them back into itunes whether that might work ? I will try as you suggest to send you just one of the midi files - amazing grace . I am not very computer literate now in my seventieth year but do enjoy the challenge of new technology !! regards Stuart
Have just copied th file into rapidshare but the response was that it did not recognise the address ? I pasted the JustAnswer address as on your email ? Stuart
Try to upload it into www.mediafire.com and paste the download links in here
Dear Ashik - I think I have uploaded the correct file into www.mediafire.com so perhaps you may be able to get it and see what problem I have withplaying the midi file - this midi file is just one of about 700 hymns etc that I have on my old Imac regards Stuart
Where is the download link of the uploaded file. I need to access the midi file that you uploaded. Please post the link in here...
I can't access your file. Could you please send it to my email.
graphic

Thank ashik - I will send you an email in the hope that I will get it right - sorry you are dealing with such an old fogie Stuart
No Problem..I'm always ready to help. I will wait for your email.
Hope you get it okay Stuart
Got it..i will try on my Mac and reply back ASAP
Fine
Hi Stuart,
I just tried your Music on my mac and i can play without any problem (i really liked the music). But this time, i tried with another application named SweetMidi Player

You can download this application, SweetMidi Player. Although this application is shareware and cost $25 to purchase the full version, you really don't have to buy it. You can use the trial version to play the midi files.

Download Sweet Midi Player from here (trial version)

I hope this will work..

Best Regards,
Thanks for your help - will now download Sweetmidi player as your suggest - will get back shortly Stuart
ok
Dear Ashik - have managed to download the Sweetmidi player and install but even though I have changed the preferences in the info details to enable the midi file to open with Sweetmidi have not been successful in getting it to play. what am I doing wrong Stuart
Open Sweetmidi player and just drag the midi file into the application. Or choose Open from the File menu and locate the music file.
Ashik, Mac Technician
I have done that and I have also altered the title to read Mid instead of midi - this places the file into the converter and when I choose save it indicated that it is saving just one third of the file - what do I do after that - how can I get the file to open so that it can be played ? Stuart
Forgot to say, open the File in the application and there is a little play button on it. Press it and it will play
Cannot find the play button - did I download the right version - there were two on the web site I may have chosen the wrong one ? so I will go back to the web site and down load the other version - be back soon
Download this one : Click Here
Hi back again - I have partially cracked it - I can get the midi file to play but it seems to have only converted the one third of the file as indicated - I also have to amend the title of each file to MID and not MIDI it seems - I will continue to persevere and aill try the zip download to see if that is any better. I think I shall have to make all new files but before doing so will need to sort out the conversion problem - am I correct in what I say above Stuart
Ashik - thanks for all your patience and help - is it now a requirement for me to purchase the correct version so that will complete all the conversion ? Stuart
Why you need to convert it ? i mean, you just want to play the files and you can play them with the trial version. ?
yes that is correct but as they are hymns with several verses I do need all the the tune and not just part - I expect that the trial version is restrcited for that purpose - anyway you have provided the solution for me and for that I am very very grateful - will be happy to recommend you at any time best regards Stuart

Stuart,
Thanks so much for Accepting my answer. Before purchasing that application, just visit this page and read reviews about all the application. I hope it will help you...

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Technician