Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

When using word for Mac, if I try to open a document, the program

freezes. Any suggestions...
When using word for Mac, if I try to open a document, the program freezes.
Any suggestions
11/10/2009
Ashik, Mac Technician
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you

What version of Word are you using ? 2004 or 2008 ?

You said that you reinstalled Snow Leopard ? How ?

The problem started with Office for Mac 2004, however I downloaded a trial version of 2008 but the problem persisted on both versions.

I re-installed snow leopard by inserting the disc and going through the installation procedure (Approx 45 mins)

Again, no improvement.

We can try to trash the preferences and templates of word and see if that helps..

Goto ~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/ and trash com.microsoft.Word.prefs.plist

Then goto ~/Users//[your name]/Library/Preferences/ and trash these files/folders.

com.microsoft.Office.prefs.plist

com.Microsoft.Word.plist

Microsoft/Office2004 (the whole folder!)

If you can find any preference relating to office or word then trash it...

Goto ~/Users/[your name]/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Office/User Templates/ and drag this file into desktop - "Normal.dotm"

Best Regards,
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...If i solved your problem, please kindly click ACCEPT. If i didn't, reply back before Accepting. Bonus and Positive Feedback are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Now out of my office so won't be able to cjheck this for about 6 - 7 hours.

I will get back to you as soon as i have tried the fix.

Thanks for your prompt response

Keith

Hello Keith,
Please let me know if my suggestion worked or not. Good Luck !

Have a great day !

Best Regards,
Not having much success, but probably because I am not that smart with imac.
I cannot find the _/library/preferences/Microsoft file and so unable to find com.microsoft.word.prefs.plist
or -/users/keith.stock/library/

Sorry if I am being thick

Keith
or -/users/keith.stock/library/

Sorry if I am being thick

Keith

Not sure if my reply is clear,
i find -/library/preferences/ but there are no Microsoft files

I find -/users/keith stock/ but there are no preferences files....

Hello Keith,
Lets do this step by step...
Open Macintosh HD (your home disk), Open Library folder, then open Preferences folder. You can see many files starting with com.apple.... or com.microsoft....etc. Search com.microsoft.Word.prefs.plist in there and if you can find it, trash it.

Let me know how it goes...
Hi Ashik
There are plenty of com.apple file but no co, microsoft file at all
Try to search the file with Spotlight...let me know
Now I am really feeling thick.
Where do I find spotlight?
This is Spotlight..graphic
Have found spotlight in system preferences but nothing happens when I search for the com.microsoft.word.prefs.plist file
Okay...try to search it under your users account's folder.

Open Macintosh HD (your home disk), Open Users folder, Open the folder which have your name, then open Library folder, then open Preferences folder. Search and trash these files. The preferences files should be there;

com.microsoft.Office.prefs.plist

com.Microsoft.Word.plist

Microsoft
(trash the whole folder!)

[Don't empty the trash]
Have found spotlight on finder but again, no files found when searching???

Have tried as suggested, but get as far as - users/keith.stock but then there is no library folder....!
Are you sure you can't see the library folder inside the keith.stock ?
There is a chance that the problem is related to your current user account..So we can try to create new account and see if that helps.

Create new user Account
  • Click on the Apple menu and choose System Preferences, and click Accounts.
  • If some settings are dimmed, click the lock icon and type your administrator name and password.
  • Click the Add (+) button, located below the list of accounts, to create a new account.
  • Select a type of account from the New Account pop-up menu.
  • Now you can see some types of accounts in there; Administrator,Standard,Managed with Parental Controls, Sharing Only etc
  • Choose Administrator from it.
  • Enter a name for the account
  • Type the user’s password XXXXX the Password XXXXX Verify fields.
  • Click Create Account.
  • Now restart your Mac and log-in with that account.

Best Regards,
Yes, that solved the problem.
Now how do I repair the problem in my old user file or transfer all of my documents onto my new account/
What Documents ? iPhoto or ITunes or other files ?
Copy all important files like Pictures folder from your old accoun to new account i.e Open your old accounts folder 'keith.stock', copy all folders and paste it into new user account's folder.

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Technician
Thanks for Accepting my answer. If you need any help, just reply back in here

(Don't delete the old account)

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Technician