Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

the volume stoped working on my macbook air i reinstalled snow

Customer Question
lepord 10.5.4 & that did...
the volume stoped working on my macbook air i reinstalled snow lepord 10.5.4 & that did not fix the problem.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
11/2/2009
Mac Support Specialist: Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer replied 8 years ago
Travis
Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer
First, there are a few questions I'd like you to answer so I can better help understand the problem.

1) What is the Operating System that was on the machine (ie 9.2, 10.5.8, etc)? You said Snow Leopard (10.6), but also mentioned 10.5.4, which is actually Leopard.

3) What have you done already to try to fix the problem?

4) Have you recently installed anything new, updated the computer, upgraded OS or software?

5) Did you start noticing the problem after a specific event took place?
First I tried going to system preferences to disk utilities & went sound or how ever I got to sound & the volume was muted I couldn't click the box because it was grey scale color high lighted or what ever I didn't have the option to uncheck it. For what ever reason I do not know, aside from the fact I am the computer's owner and only user (administrator) so I couldn't understand why I didn't have the option to. then I tried to reboot my macbook air, after a google search about the issue. I found some start up options that. Option & two different alfa. keys can't recall what they were,but they didn't do the trick (job) so too say. Then when all else fails I tried to restore my operating system from the factory state with the cd/dvd disk. Oh by tha way tha Operating System is Snow Leopard 10.5.4. I thought I posted that but if you questioned it I guess I must have forgotten to mention it. At the time it went out, I was going to a neighbors house. I was listening to I-tunes & as soon as I got into tha middle of tha street, all of a sudden the sound went out. that's when I proceeded to go through the steps I was talking about before. So if there is any thing else you need to know to help me out with this situation please feel free to knot hesitate to ask. your immediate assistance would be intriguingly appreciated thanks for your time & consideration.
If the following suggestions work, please let me know and you can Accept the answer (and if possible, leave positive feedback). If not, please DO NOT Accept the answer. Instead, let me know and we'll try some more things or I can refer you to another Expert who may be able to help you further.

If your system is running 10.5.4, that is actually Leopard (not Snow Leopard). The most current system is 10.5.8. I suggest you back up your system to an external hard drive using a program like Carbon Copy Cloner (free). Then update to 10.5.8.

I suggest backing up first, just in case the update causes some problems with your system for whatever reason (download fails, install fails, conflicts with your programs, whatever). I personally do this everytime I make any changes to the computer. It creates a clone of your hard drive onto an external. That way if something goes wrong, you can restore back to it's original state. I do it on all my machines weekly.
http://www.bombich.com/

Do you have a set of speakers connected to the Airbook? If so, it is possible that the computer encountered an error at the headphone port. First, unplug the speakers from the headphone jack. Go to System Preferences / Sound / Output. What does it have selected as output? It should say "Internal Speakers". If it doesn't, then put the headphones back in, pull them out. Does it still say "Digital Output" or "Headphones"? Try putting the headphones in and out a few times to reset the port.

Also, check to make sure "Mute" is not checked at the bottom.

If the above doesn't correct the problem, then let's try a PRAM reset.
1) Shut down the computer.
2) While the computer is shut down, locate these keys: command (has an apple on it), option (sometimes called alt), P, and R.
3) Turn the computer on, then press and hold Command-Option-P-R before the gray screen appears.
4) Hold these keys down until you hear the startup sound a total of 3 times.
5) Release the keys.
6) Do you have sound now?

Please let me know how this works out. I'll continue to help if necessary.
I told you I tried all of these suggestions, they didn't work. They didn't work even after I tried them again after you told me to try them. You should have known this when you read my response to your first replied questions. The command option p & r keys held down before restarting or rebooting didn't boot once much less 3 times the screen keep flashing bout 100 times before I finally let go of the keys my macbook air restarted but still no sound. People ask why I talk so loud i reply, because I'm deaf. Really I am not though. So I should be able to hear sound out of my macbook air any other suggestions that I haven't tried would be nice. maybe a referral to another specialist would be nice that is if you cant help me. someone's correct helpful advice would be intriguingly appreciated, thanks for your time & consideration next please!
I read back through the thread. I did see that you tried a few startup variations to relieve the problem, I did not realize that included the PRAM Reset.

If you were unable to effectively perform the PRAM reset, it is possible that there is a deeper problem here.

If you plug in headphones do you have sound through the headphones? Were you able to reseat the headphones jack by plugging and unplugging a set of headphones a few times?

Also, you did not answer the previous questions about your operating system (10.5.4 or Snow Leopard?) or if you had speakers connected to the computer. Please answer those questions in your next post if possible so the next expert may better assist you.

I am going to Opt Out per your request to allow someone else the opportunity to assist. I do hope someone else can help you get to the bottom of this and get your Airbook back in working order.
yes it is version 10.5.4 and no head phones do not work. Yes I tried unplugging & plugging in head phones to try & reset the sound but it didn't work either. When I get into the sound options preferences the volume is muted. & its gray so I can't click the mute box that that is clicked to unmute it for some reason. If I could get it unmuted it would be the answer to my problems every thing you have asked me thus far I have already told you. maybe again I request you to refer me to someone else I am starting to think from your replies that you are killing my time. If so negative feed back will be applied with this reason.
No attempt of killing your time on my part. I have opted out of the question which has opened it back up for other experts to weigh in on the issue.

In the meantime, any information I can help gather will surely make it easier for the next Expert to assist.

Another question, do you hear the startup chime when you restart? If you do not, then this may shed more light on the issue. If you have no sound even at startup then the problem is likely hardware rather than software.
Thanks
Also, if you look into the headphones port on your Airbook, do you see a red light? Try looking in low light or a dark room. If you have a red light in the port, then the computer thinks there are headphones or speakers plugged in. This would cause the computer to think it has a digital output connection. This would make a grayed out mute button and no sound from the speakers make sense.
Travis
Travis
Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer