Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

I have my itunes music on a Mac os x version 10.5.8 desk top

I have my itunes music on a Mac os x version 10.5.8 desk top and want to share my itunes music with my MacBook air laptop (same system as above). I have mobile me in place. How do I accomplish this??
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

What do you mean by share? Do you want to access the music from the Air at home?

Or do you want to have the music on the Air as well when you leave home?

Let me know,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I want to make my Air (laptop) my "base" itunes computer that will hold my music and have it also be the unit that I sync from going forward. I will keep what I have on my Mac Pro desk top but make the air my source unit for all activity in I tunes. Today 100% of my music, etc is on the desk top. I want to change that to my air laptop.
Hoefully that clears up what I want to accomplish.
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.

First, I hope you are aware of the space limitations on the Air and how quickly it will fill up if you do it this way.

To move everything, you will need to connect the two somehow with a network or use an external USB hard drive to transfer the entire iTunes Music folder to the Air hard drive.

Then Open iTunes on the Air while holding the OPTION/ALT key down and it will ask where the Library is. Click on Choose Library and choose the Library you just copied in. It should be in the exact same location... in your Music folder in your Home/User folder.

From now on, just buy music on the Air and then Share your Air library to the Desktop by using Sharing in the Preferences on iTunes on the Air. The Desktop will then have access to all of the Music on the Air hard drive.

Hope this helps. Keeping them in sync is going to be harder. Not much out there I am aware of that syncs Music folders without going with a software app like Carbon Copy Cloner or Super Duper to sync only certain folders.