Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

My problem is as follows i bought a PowerMac G5 1.8ghz from

a friend it was up...
My problem is as follows i bought a PowerMac G5 1.8ghz from a friend it was up and running fine. Startup and shutdown no problem until i got it home and set it up. i get nothing but the broken folder smiling at me with a question mark. it chimes like its going to start up regular but it goes directly to the finder face with a question mark! i’ve tried all the above and then some and nothing seems to work but it will boot with driver genius but not the original boot disk!!! i need help please!!!
11/2/2009
Mike, Mac Support Specialist

When you boot from Drive Genius (one of my favorites) do you run the Repair Disk choice?

If so, what is the result?

What specific PowerMac G5 is this? Tower? iMac?

Do you know the version of OS X on the Drive?

Let me know,
When i use diver genius it tells me the drive is ok!! It is the tower! the disc he gave me was mac os 10.4 but i haven't been able to get on it to see for myself!!

Ok, Let's boot from that 10.4 disk and see what is up with that drive.

Insert the disk and then restart the Mac. Hold down the OPTION/ALT key until you see a screen with 2 arrows on it.
Release the key.

Wait for the cursor to return control to you and then look at what icons are there. Are there 2 of them? One for the installer and one for the Hard Drive?

Click on the Installer icon and then the right arrow.

When you see the Installer running, answer the Language question and then go to the Menu Bar at the top of the screen.

Choose Didk Utility from one of the menus up there.

In Disk Utility, is there an icon on the left side named Macintosh HD? Or any other name, but a hard drive icon?

If so, click once on it and then choose First Aid tab on right and then click on Repair Disk.

Anything come up?

If not, then quit Disk Utility and keep going in the Installer. When you see the Destination page, click on your Hard Drive icon and then on the Options button below it.

In here, click on Archive & Install and make sure to check Preserve Users and Settings. Very Important!!

Close that window and finish the Install.

When it is done, it will restart, maybe more than once on its own.

When it finishes and starts up, you should be ok and have a new OS X and the files still intact.

Let me know if anything does not work as described.

when i tried the option key it goes to the screen but it is not showing any thing but the mouse watch and the two arrows nothing loads in cd or HD but it sees the Driver Genius Cd..
Ok,

Are you sure that 10.4 disk is from that Mac? If not, that may be why it will not show up.

The hard drive must have something wrong with the OS to not show up either.

You will need a OS X disk that is either the install disk or a retail installer of later versions of 10.4 or any Leopard 10.5 version.

so it would have to be a full version of 10.5 leopard in order for it to operate or will any version work... because i ordered the new snow leopard to see if it would work and it does not even see the disc!! so what version should i get ?

You cannot run Snow Leopard at all on anything that is NOT an Intel Mac. You hvae G5. That one needs to go back.

You need any Leopard, not Snow Leopard, version.

For Tiger/10.4, you need the original install disk, or a lter version than what would have shipped with your Mac.

To be safe, get a Leopard version retail installer, any version 10.5 to 10.5.8. They will all work for installing onto the Mac.

You'll need to return that Snow Leopard disk. the specs are very clear it will not work on a G5.

Thanks Mike for your help!!! i repartitioned the drive with driver genius which was saying my drive was fine!! then i went and bought DiskWarrior which fixed some problems that Driver genius didn't see!! it allowed the drive to install Tiger and also i had to get the three other disks for the install that my friend did not give me i had disk two only!! But all is well now after a month of the questioning smiling folder!!! Thanks again!!!!Cool
Great!!!

That drive must have been a mess to take 2 utilities to fix it!

Good job.

yeah, i went out and bought another drive at around two this morning, just in case!!! But all this work just made me apperciate mac systems even more, they make you think!! If i need anymore help i come back and see you!!
Please do.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Mike, Mac Support Specialist