Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I want to recover videos from my Canon HG10 camcorder. The

Customer Question
I want to recover videos...
I want to recover videos from my Canon HG10 camcorder. The camera keeps asking me to use the camcorder to initialize the HD. What can I do to get these videos back? I have a new Apple computer with leopard softward
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
11/1/2009
Mac Support Specialist: Daniel, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
Daniel, Mac Genius
Hello my name is Dan.
Can you tell me what you have tried so far?
I have tried the demo on disc doctor. I got jpg's that would seem to be the first frame of the movies I made. I then tried to purchase the product, but have been unable to do so. I have a PC at work, so will try with a PC if I cannot recover the movies with my Apple. However, the camcorder was connected to my Mac when I lost the movies.
Can you explain what you were doing when it happened?
I am an inexperienced user of both computers and camcorders. I have had no problem downloading my photos from the camcorder to my mac. I thought I would try to do the same with my videos. At some point I disconnected the camcorder from the mac (which the camera warns you not to do) because I didn't seem to be making any progress in downloading. My videos disappeared from the playback list on the camcorder and the camcorder instructed me to initialize the hard drive with the camcorder.
Ok, it may be fixable with Disk Warrior by AlSoft, this rebuilds the directory on the hard drive in the camcorder (maybe).
WHat happened was when you disconnected the camera you didn't eject it first or so it sounds. That can wreck a disk directory.
Does you camcorder have a firewire connection? If so that is how you get the video from it to iMovie.
Thank you. I will try this later today or tomorrow.
I await your reply.
Daniel,

I purchased the software, downloaded it, and attempted to rebuild the Canon camcorder hard drive. It could not do it. It explained that the file system was unsupported. It says the file system is Windows/PC.

Should I just do this on my work PC which is Dell and Windows?

Jim
That would probably be the easiest way to fix it.
The camera has a FAT32 file system which is why I said maybe it would work.
You do have one of the best Mac utilities on the market now.
It is quite possible that the video is unrecoverable, I have seen this happen.
If the PC cannot get the footage then there is one more thing and that is data recovery, there are many of these and I cannot recommend one over another as I have not needed one (yet).
Just google Data Recovery and see what I mean.
Daniel, Mac Genius