Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

when I try and move my music library from my external hard

Customer Question
drive (music that used to...
when I try and move my music library from my external hard drive (music that used to be in iTunes)It takes several minutes and all that happens is I get an error message "sq004668v05"
BACKGROUND: all of this music was on my laptop in iTunes before, i had a computer issue and took it to the shop, before I did that I moved all my iTunes music (over 8,000 songs) to my external hard drive, the laptop have to be restored, no when I try and move the music back to the laptop is get the error message
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
11/2/2009
Mac Support Specialist: Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer replied 8 years ago
Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer

Can you tell us what you are doing t move your music,Are you just copying and pasting it from one place to another?

Let us know

Thanks

I've done both: I've tried clicking on it in my external hard drive and dragging it over to iTunes. Also have tried to move it from iTunes itself both by folders and by single song

Ok,

Can you open iTunes then can you open iTunes then click Edit and choose Preferences, next can you clck the Advanced tab and select Keep iTunes Music folder organized and click OK.

Once you have done that can you click file then choose add folder to library and browse to the location you placed your music and choose all the sub folders.

Next can you choose File then Library then choose Consolidate Library and confirm.

Once everything is consolidated can you then open iTunes and confirm your files are all there and that they play correctly.

Let me know hoe you get on

Thanks

Ok,

Can you open iTunes then can you open iTunes then click Edit and choose Preferences, next can you clck the Advanced tab and select Keep iTunes Music folder organized and click OK.>>>>>Already done

Once you have done that can you click file then choose add folder to library and browse to the location you placed your music and choose all the sub folders. >>>>>When do this the screen top center (that has the spple symbol in it) flashes quickly but the folder of music does not transfer

Next can you choose File then Library then choose Consolidate Library and confirm.>>>>> still did this step

Let me know hoe you get on

Ok,

If you choose one of the subfolders does the Apple icon still just flash or does it transfer the music?

Thanks

I don't believe there is a sub folder. If itry and move a single song at a time that does nt work either

Ok,

Can you move the iTuns Music folder back to its original location under My Documents\My Music\iTunes\ then can you follow the steps in this Apple article to move the folder using the automatic method http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1449

Once finished let me know how you got on

Thanks