Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Hi - the Ethernet port on my Macbook no longer works, so I

Customer Question
was told to get an...
Hi - the Ethernet port on my Macbook no longer works, so I was told to get an Ethernet USB adapter, which I did. Then, I found that I also needed Leopard, so I bought Leopard and have upgraded to 10.5.8. The modem registers the connection (which means that the USB port is working), but my Mac still will not connect to the Internet. Is there a setting that I need to change, as well??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
11/1/2009
Mac Support Specialist: Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer replied 8 years ago
Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer

can you tell us what happens when you try to connect your macs ethernet port to your router or modem?

Can you also tell us what type of internet service you have?

Thanks

When I try connecting via the Ethernet port, nothing happens. I called Apple earlier this month and went through some diagnostics over the phone and they told me that I had to see a tech. So I scheduled an appointment at my local Apple store and a tech verified that the Ethernet port is dead. I didn't want to go with a $350 motherboard replacement, so I bought the USB adapter. When I connect the adapter, the modem shows an orange light, so apparently, the modem recognizes the connection. But I can't get my Mac to connect. I'm using Comcast internet service. The cable guy was just out today to hook up my service (I just moved yesterday) and he tested the Internet connection on his laptop, which worked.

Ok,

One last question, What make andd model is the USB to ethernet you purchased?

Thanks

The package, which is Apple, doesn't show a model number. I notice now that it does say, in fine print: "Compatible only with Macbook Air computers." Mine's not an Air....

Ok,

Can you tell me what model your Macbook is so I can give you a couple of options to look at, Or can you take the adapter out and let me know if there is a model number on a sticker?

Thanks

This is a Macbook 2,1 that I purchased in 2007. The adapter is model A1277 copyright 2008.

Ok,

In that case it is an mb442z/a and this is the unit if I am correct?

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB442Z/A

If I am then it was designed for the MacBook Air and people have had a very limited amount of luck using them with other Apple machines as the adapter has a special chip in it that looks for an Air so that it is designed not work with other machines.

This article will explain it a little more if you are interested http://reviews.ebay.com/Reason-MacBook-Air-Ethernet-Adapters-Don-apos-t-Work-On-Macs_W0QQugidZ10000000007214447

The person who wrote the article produces an aftermarket USB to ethernet that will work with your machine without any modification straight out of the box for $20.00 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320441247463&ih=011&category=11175&ssPageName=mem_guide:1&rd=1

Let us know if you need more info or clarification.

Thanks

Thank you so much - it's hard to believe that Apple doesn't make an adapter that works on all of their machines!

I agree 100%

Over the years they have manufacturered different adapters, however they have been propriitary to the model series which is why I prefer a universal unit so I can have it for all machines.

I actually carry one of the universal adapters with me so when I go to Mac clients I know I can plug it in and it will just work.

Let me know if you need more info.

Thanks