Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

Can I copy a DVD, made by COSTCO from a personal VHS tape,

Can I copy a DVD, made by COSTCO from a personal VHS tape, to my imac so I can copy parts of it in imovie to send to friends?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
Hello my name is Dan.
I am not sure what was made by who in what format.
Is the VHS what has what you want to copy or is the DVD that you want to put onto a VHS?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Cosco convered my VHS tape to a DVD. I now want to copy this DVD in to my Imac so I can use Imovie and Idvd to send parts of it to friends
Expert:  Daniel replied 7 years ago.
Macs, because of copy rights, will not let you directly do what you are wanting to do. There are ways to do it and I will outline them for you.
1) Use a commercial DVD player through a video bridge like this one ( http://desktop.thomsongrassvalley.com/products/ADVC110/index.php ) this works with VCRs and DVD players and lets you import directly into iMovie.
2) Handbrake ( http://handbrake.fr/ ) use this to turn it into an Mpv4 and import it into iMovie.

Of the two I would use Handbrake as it is free to use but they ask for a donation (worth it). Make sure to read the help files and the online guide.