Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

My Time Capsule has a blinking yellow light and when I check

Customer Question

My Time Capsule has a blinking yellow light and when I check Airport Utility for information it says I'm low on storage space. It seems that I have only 10 GB of the original 500 GB available. This is only 3 months old at this time. How do I prevent this from happening? How do I delete some of the older backups (Is the right thing to do?)? Can the thing be programed to auto delete backups older than a certain age?

My understanding was that the first backup backed everything and subsequent backups only tracked changes, but I could not have used 490 GB if this is true. Any ideas here?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 8 years ago.
Hello my name is Dan.
Do you use it for anything besides Time Machine?
You might want to look in the Console Logs for runaway logs. Find this in Applications/Utilities. Take a look at all logs and tell me what you find.
What version of Mac OS X do you have?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dan, this console log is Greek to me. I don't see any obvious problem, but I'm not entirely familiar with what a problem would look like.

The Time Machine is also a wireless router.

I have Snow Leopard.
Expert:  Daniel replied 8 years ago.
You don't really need to know what they are saying just if they are long and many.
Do you use the TC for any other storage than TM or is it exclusive for that?
I assume that you were using it for TM before SL and that may be where the problem is.

I had mine as a network disk connected to my Airport Extreme and upgraded to SL and my TM went south on me. I have not seen any fix to this so far I think because it only happens to a few like you and I.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No, nothing in the log looks suspicious...no repetitious problems over time. I do not use TC for any storage other than TM. I was using it before with Leopard, but I have been using SL since the day it was released and the problem just occurred today.
Expert:  Daniel replied 8 years ago.
Ok I want you to repair the permissions do this by going to Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility selecting your hard drive from the list in the left window and click ing on Repair Permissions.

graphic
Let me know.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dan, this repaired several files all starting with Library/Internet Plug-ins/Flash Player. Nothing that looked like TC related issues. Thanks.
Expert:  Daniel replied 8 years ago.
That is usually the case. Sometimes the list can be quite long and seemingly unrelated.
I don't know if this will take care of the issue but it will fix things that are not yet problems.
Do you make a lot of modifications to your documents and files or download videos and music?
These are backed up along with everything else, music and videos use disk space like it was free.
Open Airport Utility, it is in the same place as Disk Utility and see what it tells you about the TC.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dan, I don't download music or videos and only make minimal documents (versus a business user). I do have photos, but I have only 68GB of space used on my hard drive. For some reason I have used 490 GB on the TC drive. I don't want to spend more money. I'll take the problem tp Apple since all this stuff is new.

Thanks for your help.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Daniel replied 8 years ago.
I don't charge by the reply. You have already paid so if you wish to continue there is no extra charge.
And yes Apple should be doing something about this and I think they are and it will be in the next update, probably. You have reported this to Apple have you not?