Claws224, IEEE Datacommunication Engineer
Experience:  IEEE, Microsoft
5195814

Hello again! Ok I recently installed RAM memory in my husbands

Hello again! Ok I recently installed RAM memory in my husband's mac mini--all worked well, except there was a cable that was attached to the hard drive and unfortunately I followed the video instructions and managed to break it off the backside of the hard drive. Well, I figured that I killed the hard drive, but surprise, all has worked well since. What's the problem? He has no sound, and in system preferences, no audio output devices are found. Could this be related to the cable? Thanks for your help.

Do you know what version his mac Mini is?

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Does 1.1 sound right? It is a couple years old...

Ok,

Do you know what type of processor is in it?

If not can you click the apple icon in the top left then choose about this mac and let me know what it says.

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
1.83 Ghz Intel duo

Ok,

If you cannot get sound from the internal speaker on the Mini then it is possible you may ahve damaged the speaker connector wire which is apple part number(NNN) NNN-NNNNwhich you can see on this exploded diagram

graphic

If that is the case the only way to get yoru sound back would be to replace the speaker kit.

An easy way to test this would be to see if you plug a set of headphones into the plug on the back of the machine will it then give you those as an option for playback, If so then it is the speaker kit that is damaged.

Test that and let me know what you find out.

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The cable I broke was facing the back...from what I can tell the speaker connection isn't there--that of course, doesn't mean I screwed something up on that side either, I'll try a pair of headphones and let you know.

Ok,

Just give the headpones a try and let me know if you then get those as an option.

Looking at the diagram do you recognise anything else as the part you may have damaged?

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, headphones didn't work...the diagram is a bit difficult for me to understand...but I don't believe that is the part; however, I'm wondering if I unplugged something that it's not connected properly...

Ok,

That is possible, However the issue is that without taking the machine apart again and re assembling it again there is no way to make sure everything is where it belongs.

Can you take a look at these screenshots from sterpin and let me know if you recognise the cable that may have been damaged http://www.sterpin.net/uk/ddMacMiniuk.htm

Thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm checking the video I watched to see what it might be...thank you...I'll let you know if I figure something out....
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
After doing a bit of research--the cable was attached to the audio board...course I'm not sure if I can put that in there without breaking something else!

Ok,

As with anything as long as you take your time and are careful you should be able to do it as long as the connectors are not damaged.

Just take a good look at the dissasembly instructions and if need be you may need to purchase a good set of needle nose pliers so that you can get to those hard to reach places.

If you need clearer screenshots or any help let me know

Thanks