Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Hi Mac support... Zapped my PRAM, got the blinking file

Hi Mac support... Zapped my PRAM...
Hi Mac support...

Zapped my PRAM, got the blinking file folder with the question mark...the whole bit. Tried to do a reinstall with my cd and go to disk utility to repair... the problem is, I can't get my PRAM remounted...help!!!
10/1/2009
MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, Terry, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:

• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?

• Could you also provide me the model and processor speed of your Mac?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Regards,

-Terry
mac os x version 1.0 (tiger)
imac g4
Thanks for your reply missbuttons.

-PMU RESET- (not be confused with PRAM Reset)
The Power Manager is an integrated circuit (computer chip) that is usually on the logic board of your Mac computer.

It is responsible for power management of the computer. It controls backlighting, hard disk spin down, sleep and wake, some charging aspects, trackpad control, and some input/output as it relates to the computer sleeping.

• If the computer is on, turn it off.
• Disconnect all the connections going into the Mac except for the Power cord.
• Once all connections have been disconnected, remove the power cord from the
Mac.
• Wait 30 seconds.
• Reconnect the keyboard, mouse and power cord back into the computer.
• Press the Power button to restart the Mac computer.

This is a initial troubleshooting procedure, so please, let me know if this helps.

I will be watching for your reply.

Thanks!

-Terry

followed your step by step instructions and still same result, image of a file folder with a question mark and cannot get into my desktop
Thanks for your update and effortCustomer

A folder with a question mark image, is an indiction that your Mac cannot locate your Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger volume on your hard drive, It is the volume of that portion of your hard drive which is used to store all of the files and folders that you are used to accessing. So to help you further with this issue, I would need to know if you have your Mac OS X install disc available for one,

The other: I will need you to attempt this procedure to see if it helps.

I am going to have you take your Mac into Safe Mode to see if we can't remove a possible folder(s) that may be affecting your Mac's start up function.

Try these steps:

-SAFE BOOT MODE-
• Reboot your Mac
• Upon restarting your Mac, press the Shift key.
• Hold the Shift key until you see a White Screen with Gray Apple icon and eventually a spinning gear.
• When you see the Spinning gear, release the Shift key.
• Allow the Mac to continue booting up. Also this may take a little while
(NOTE: this may take anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes to load to the Safe mode screen depending on the performance of your Mac, but if it exceeds this time, shutdown your Mac and try just once more. It may have just frozen up the first time around for you.)

• You are going to enter the Safe Mode (which looks like your main desktop enviroment the only difference is certain startup items are disabled.)

• Once within the Desktop in Safe Mode
• From the Finder Menu, click Go> Go to Folder
• Type in this line: /System/Library/StartupItems
• This path, is going to take you to the System Library folder which has all of your Mac OS X Startupitems.
• Remove all of those folders to the Trash.

*Reboot your Mac normally and see if you can access your normal User desktop environment.

Keep me posted!

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply.

Regards,

-Terry
MacTechTrainer
Hello msbuttons1. I appreciate the Accept, but until we get resolution, you don't have to quit. An Accept does not mean the end of the service. The objective here is to see that your issue is resolved. We don't stop with just one procedure. Personally, that would not say much for the many years of technical support I have provided a wide range of Mac customers.

So if it is ok with you, I am still ready to assist you further to resolve this issue.

Please keep in mind, for future tense when you visit JustAnswer.com, we are here to help you get your answer. I am sure you remember the little quote, "if at first you don't succeed, try, try again." Well that is me.

So if you are able to still see this post, please feel free to reply back to to this post and I will be more than happy to continue assisting you.

If you recall my last answer to you, I stated :

"Keep me posted!

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply."

That is why I keep my closing statements at the end of a procedure, open-ended like that. Just so in case, the procedure I provided you initially did not work, you simply reply back and we try another process.

So again, let me know if I can be of further assistance. And if you are still not pleased, you just let me know and I will not hesitate to have your $18 investment in my answer, returned back to you. Your patronage with us and satisfaction with our JustAnswer.com service is far more valuable than just an Accept.

I am ready if you are to continue...

-Terry
MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer