Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I just lost nearly 1,000 address in Address Book. Please, any

Customer Question
help would be great...
I just lost nearly 1,000 address in Address Book. Please, any help would be great
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
10/1/2009
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Mike, Mac Support Specialist

Can you tell me what happened? In detail if you can.

Do you have any backups? MobileMe subscription?

iPhones or iPod Touches?

Online Address Books like Yahoo or Gmail?

Let me know any or all of the above.

I was simply trying to export the addresses. I thought I had saved the addresses to the desktop, but I when I opened the Address Book 2009-10-01 file, it cleared the Address Book:

The below message popped up:

The Address Book archive “Address Book 2009-10-01” will be copied over your existing database. This operation can’t be undone.

When I reopened Address Book, the stored addresses were gone
Oh dear.

Back to my other questions...

iPhones or iPod Touches?

Let me know,
Unfortunately no. I have an external drive, but not with me (I live in New York, the external drive is elsewhere)

Can anything be done with lost files from the computer?

No.

Once the system is told a file space is open, it is open to be written on again. That generally erases all or most of what is needed to identify it.

Address Book assumed the Archive was to be the file to keep. Very bad move on its part I must say. It should have offered to save your as Old addressbook file.

Do this first though. Go to your Finder and click on the Go menu.

Choose Home.

In here, open the Library Folder.

Look for and open the Application Support folder.

Look for and open the AddressBook folder.

Does it look like this?
graphic
If so, is there a AddressBook.data.previous file in there? What is the Modified date?

Let me know,
Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Unfortunately, there's no previous data. I will just wait until I can reload the addresses from the external drive, maybe in the next 2-3 weeks. At least I can retrieve 2/3rds of the previous addresses from the external drive. Thank you for your help, though
I am sorry about that.

Maybe a small portable hard drive or a large USB flash drive and make copies of stuff like addressbook data, calendars, stuff like that and at least have a little peace of mind.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist