Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I am a new mac user and I am trying to install the Move Networks

Customer Question
media player onto my mac...
I am a new mac user and I am trying to install the Move Networks media player onto my mac (I use Safari) so that I can watch shows from sites like abc.com. When I try to install it, there is a bar that gradually fills up; when the bar is full, nothing happens. The videos will not work; they're just blank. I have also tried the .dmg method of installing & it does pretty much the same thing. Between each attempt at installation, I delete the Move Network plug-ins from the library. However, the uninstall instructions also say I need to delete the Move Network directory from the Caches folder, but I cannot find any such directory in the folder. I have also tried installing the player directly from its site, which also doesn't work. I have tried running Safari in 32-bit mode as well; in which case the download gets about 1/4 of the way done & just goes blank. PLEASE HELP!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
10/1/2009
Mac Support Specialist: Daniel, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
Daniel, Mac Genius
Hello my name is Dan.
I just went to Move Networks so I could see for myself what it is. It did not impress me.
It worked but not as well as they hype it.
What Mac OS X version do you use?
What model Mac do you have? How fast is it?
What kind of internet do you have? DSL. Cable?
I'm running version 10.6.1 of Mac OS X. I have a Mac Book Pro (i just got it a few weeks ago). It has a 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor & 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 memory. I use cable for internet. And I'm using Safari 4.0.3 for my browser. I hope this helps.
Very good. Nice machine my son just got that model.
In my opinion Move Networks looks like a problem waiting to happen. Instead I recommend getting Adobes Flash player 10, it is a free plugin and is proven.
With this you can go directly to ABC, CBS, NBC etc. All the content is Flash based and that plugin is necessary in any event.
I myself watch most online TV and movies on Hulu.com it is uncluttered not busy with stuff flashing all over and works very well.

In direct answer to your question I did install the plugin quite easily. I am running the same OS and Safari, my machine is a little older than yours but runs the Move Networks pretty well.
Please describe how you are doing it.

The Adobe player didn't work on abc.com or cwtv.com. For the Move media player, all i did was hit "install" & the bar loads all the way but absolutely nothing else happens and it won't play video. i'm not an idiot. i've downloaded media players before, but this one does not want to work with my computer! i also tried clicking the .dmg install button under the troubleshoot for the media player, but again, no video will play after downloading. i also tried running safari in 32-bit mode, hitting "install" & the only thing that happens is the bar loads about 1/4 of the way & then the screen goes blank.

I never thought you were.

So let us try repairing the permissions. This repair can clear these type issues up.

This link is for a PDF and if you right click on it the default app to open it should be Preview.

I would like you to do the permissions repair and save the rest for when it might come in handy.

Let me know.

This link is good for 1 day.

http://senduit.com/8580e9

the only noticeable difference i see from repairing the permissions is that now the bar that loads after hitting "install" only goes a short ways & then the screen goes blank (like it does when i run it in 32-bit mode). abc.com also says that the version i have (which i downloaded from their website) is not current & needs to be upgrade. so i tried to upgrade it (from abc.com) and nothing new happens. i also tried to download it again from the actual media player website, but that didn't work either. and i'm still deleting the non-working plug-in from my library between each download.
Having fun yet?
Download this. It is Flip4Mac and is a plugin for quicktime and should make a difference.
http://www.telestream.net/flip4mac-wmv/overview.htm
no change. i just wanted to say i appreciate your time & your help. do you have any other suggestions?
We are missing something. I have an iMac G4 1.42 PPC with 10.5.8 on it. This is a fairly old machine as computers go. I just installed Move Networks on it with no problems.
Can you step though how you did it? I may see something different. The only thing that could be the issue (but makes no sense) is that you have one of the newest machines and my newest is almost 3 years old.
Goto hulu.com and try any one of the videos you find there just as a test.
Hulu works just fine, but it only streams some of the shows i want to watch, which is why i need the move media player. ok, when i try to download the media player from the website, i got tohttp://www.movenetworks.com/install-move-player then i click on the red install button. there is a bar beneath where i just clicked that begins loading. it loads a very small ways & then the box that the loading bar & text were in goes blank except for a the outline of a smaller empty black box inside of it. there is no error message, just the words "install move player" with a blank screen underneath. then, having failed yet again, i go to the finder, type in the word "move" and move the white, lego-looking plug-in button i find there to the trash, & empty it so that i can try again.

when i try to download it from abc.com, click on a random show from the menu, this time i picked lost. i then clicked the play button on one of the full episodes of the show, in this case "destiny calls." a screen that says "install plug-in" pops up. i hit the red "begin install" button. an "end user license agreement" pops up. i check the box underneath the terms & click the red "agree" button. "instructions for mac users" pops up. Step 1 is to click the "download button." Step 2 is to click "trust" when prompted. i have yet to make it to step 2. i do step 1 & hit the "download button." a long, rectangular black box appears above the installation instructions and says "installing..." with a rotating circle, indicating that it's supposedly doing something, next to it. nothing ever changes.

and that is where i'm currently at w/ installing the media player. do you think the player doesn't work correctly w/ the new version of the machine? should i make call the apple helpline instead?
This is how I did it. I went to this site and installed. Worked like a charm..
http://www.movenetworks.com/
A small window opens and starts playing and two choices that are is there a picture yes or no. I choose yes because I did and it works.
You probably did that also. I don't know what else there is. There is no reason for it to not work.
Daniel, Mac Genius
i couldn't agree more. there is not reason for it NOT to work, and yet, it doesn't. it's simple, click the button, instant video gratification. or not. thanks for your help. i'm happy to click the "accept" button because you've been really patient & tried to help, but i think i'm going to have to call apple's help line. thanks.
Thank you. I think Apple will help. Oh, by the way you can't be an idiot, you have a Mac. Even though this little thing doesn't work yet.
Daniel, Mac Genius