Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

can you help me retrieve excel(excel 2008 version 12.0.1) files

Customer Question
that suddenly disappeared from my...
can you help me retrieve excel(excel 2008 version 12.0.1) files that suddenly disappeared from my Mac (OSX 10.4.11) desktop?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
10/1/2009
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Mike, Mac Support Specialist

What have you tried so far to resolve this?

Were these files loose on the Desktop? Or in a folder?

Did you have any External Disks connected? or Flash Drives?

Let me know,
We are a weekly newspaper. We use Excel for subsription and advertising info. My subscription editor is not trained in Excel and so she started copying and pasting info on her spreadsheet that evidently sent Excel in a tizzy. Basically, Excel is changing subscription dates from their original date (which differs every seven days, because of weekly publication) to list numerically, and does this beginning at random rows until the list runs out of dates.

So, for example: our spreadsheets list customer names, addresses, phones numbers, when their subscription ends, postal codes, etc. scrolling down, clumps will list 8/12/09 ...... 9/2/09 ...... 9/23/09 ...... then starting at 10/6/09, the dates will follow right after one another with 10/7/09, 10/8/09, 10/9/09, 10/10/09, 10/11/09, etc. Now, what's happening, is this is messing up when subscriptions end because it's completely changing the date so they list numerically, no matter what the date originally said.My circulation manager went in a few weeks ago, went back through ALL customer subscription files and changes the dates again. Saved the file and reopened it right back and everything was changed again. We could not find a previous file, and we checked the time from when the file was saved and it clearly stated a few seconds before opening the file back up.

Last week, during distribution, she got on her computer only to find the files she was working on gone. Off the computer. my editor looked in the trash, in the "open recent" selection in Excel, the editor searched it, looked in the documents folder — everything. The file did not crash, so there was no system restore to look into. Used/cleaned disk utility and that didn't help.

We have an external server, but evidently she just worked off her desktop. She did have a flash drive inserted, however I don't have access to that right now.

Well, I am thinking that Flash drive had those files.

If you go to Excel and lookk in Recent items.... does the original filename still show?

If you choose it, any error or request dialogs come up?

one error is: Unable to unarchive "ad.zip" into Desktop (Error 1- Operation not permitted)

The other files listed are accessible but are not the ones that are lost
Do you know what this ad.zip is?

Any chance the file was zipped to be sent out via email and then accidentally deleted or moved to the Flash drive?

Mikw
I assume that the ad/zip is the flash drive that I don't have with me. I took the computer with me when I left (I'm 180 miles from the office) to see if I could get it fixed. However, I did open up the flashdrive when I was at the office and none of the recent files were there. There were some files that had been updated on the server -- however, the last update was 3/31 (the staffdiscovered they were evidently not doing the back up properly). So, we have old files that date back to 3/31, but we don't have any of the recent files we are looking for that have the files updated.

And nothing in the Trash can? I'd check that Flash drive, especially the Trash Can when connected. You can only see what's in the Trash when the device is connected.

That's about all I can give you. I think they may have been zipped to distribute and someone may have accidentally deleted the original thinking it may be a dupe.

no nothing was deleted. there are items in the trash but none are the files in question.
Ok,

I have nothing else. If not on the Flash drive or in its Trash can, then it/they are gone.

Sorry,
Mike, Mac Support Specialist