Travis
Travis, Mac-Trained Product Designer
Experience:  19+ Years of Mac Experience, BSA in Design and 6 Years of Mac Training from University of Cincinnati
22842276

No sound. The selected device has no output controls in

No sound. "The selected device has no output controls" in the system preference... no internal speakers. No headphones. Red light on in headphone plug.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Travis replied 8 years ago.
First I would suggest it sounds like your computer is stuck on Digital Output (because of the red light), as if there is a dongle or digital output connected to the computer. Which would make the computer think to disable the internal speakers.

I was doing a little more research for someone else having the same problem. I came across this thread at apple's support site. It suggests using a toothpick to disengage the audio jack.

Good Luck.

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=6885460#6885460

--------------------------------------

If that doesn't help, let's confirm some settngs.

Go to Applications / Utilities / Audio Midi Setup

Confirm that Default Input, Output, System Output are all set to "Built-In Output"
Under "Properties for" set to "Built-In Output".
The "Audio Output" box in the bottom right, the following should be selected:
Source: Internal Speakers
Format: 44100.0 Hz / 2ch-24bit

-----------------------------------

Next go to System Preferences / Sound and confirm the following settings (if you can):
Under Output:
Internal Speakers should be selected as the Built-In Output, if not let me know what it does have in the dialogue box
Output Volume is not Muted in the check box at the bottom.

------------------------------------

If above suggestions yield no results, let me know and we'll go from there.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks. I used a toothpick equivalent to disengage the headphone jack and apparently it is back in working order. I guess there was dirt (imagine that I live on a ranch) that kept it jammed in that position.

BTW, I am from Middletown, OH and went to UC for a semester when I was teaching in Mariemont...

Thanks again.
Expert:  Travis replied 8 years ago.
Glad I could help! Middletown huh? I drive down through there everyday. I live near Troy, but work in Cincinnati. Small world.

Thanks for the Accept, please let me know if I can help you with anything else!

Travis

Positive Feedback is always welcome!