Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

installed a new seagate sata 500gb hard drive in my imac g5,

Customer Question

installed a new seagate sata 500gb hard drive in my imac g5, i have original discs (v9) and when goes to install screen to select hard drive to install software, there is no hard drive there...... cables are connected - what to do???!!!
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 8 years ago.
Hello my name is Dan.
Since you are at the install screen go to the menu bar to Utilities and from the drop down menu select disk utility.
If the new drive shows up then erase and format Mac OS X Extended (journaled) if it isn't there then something when wrong with the drive install or the drive is bad. I would double check all connections.
Keep me posted.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dan,

The first screen I get is "select a language" and then it goes from that to "welcome to the mac osx installer"..... then to license agreement, then to agree / disagree to select a destination.......
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dan,

Expert:  Daniel replied 8 years ago.
Go back until you see the menu bar. Then do the above.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
There is no menu bar - just select language
Expert:  Daniel replied 8 years ago.
The next screen. Just click continue. There will be a menu bar just as if the machine were running normal.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dan - great head in the right direction - it got to "installing base system part 1 and stuck at 13%..........
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Expert:  Daniel replied 8 years ago.
You are supposed to be finding info about the disk not installing the OS.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Daniel,

My question should have been more direct, I realize this now - which is installed new disk - need to install os.... ran into problems..... this is the first time I have used this service and now understand that my question should have been my goal then go from there......
Expert:  Daniel replied 8 years ago.
Ok, so you are installing Mac OS X for the first time on this disk or for the first time?