Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

i have a i book g4 for three years, no problem .I put in a

Customer Question
cd and it would...
i have a i book g4 for three years, no problem .I put in a cd and it would not open and it gave me a message on a black screen pass word not valid. I reinstalled the soft ware. When the screen opened it asked for my password XXXXX normal. when i entered it, it would not take it Then it said ,HINT use original password ???? please help
[email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
9/2/2009
Mac Support Specialist: Rob, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
Rob
Rob, Mac Genius

Try restarting then inserting the CD.

You can reset your password XXXXX inserting your system install/restore cd, restart holding the C key.

When the computer starts up from the CD, click the next button at the language screen.

On the next screen click the Utilities menu heading at the top of the screen.

Select Reset Password.

Enter any password XXXXX want. It will be case sensitive. Meaning if you type caps in any of it, you'll have to enter it that exact same way when you have to after restarting.

Then restart your computer normally.

What kind of CD was it you inserted?
The cd i entered the first that caused the problem was a photo cd I followed your instructions and the new pass word did not work
If the password XXXXX not work, the password XXXXX CD is asking for is not the same one as the login password. Was this a CD that you created or one that someone else has given you? I'm wondering if whoever created the CD put password XXXXX on it. If they did, you need to know the password XXXXX use the CD.

Can you log out of your computer and successfully log back in? If you can then you know your system/login password XXXXX XXXXX correct.
I was taking photos from one computer to my laptop when the problem started. It was then asking me for my original password???
It may be asking for the password XXXXX the other computer. Could you log in successfully after logging out? Is it asking for a username and password XXXXX just a password?
On the new screen that came up after your instructions, it is asking me for a name and a password
Put in your username and password XXXXX see if it works. Do you know your username?
On the screen it has my user name asCustomerwith a symbol next to it but it will not accept my password. On the new screen there are two areas for passwords one hasCustomerwith symbol the other is headed OTHER with symbol
Try puttingCustomerin that second box along with your regular password XXXXX see if it lets you proceed. If it doesn't let you do this, log out and log back in to make sure your username and password XXXXX working correctly for logging in.
It doesn't work. When i start up i get a blue screen with the symbols andCustomer& OTHER but it will not let me log in
Are you getting boxes asking for 2 different passwords when you log in? Is the CD still in the computer?
YES ONE IS MR VITO XXXXX IS -OTHER- BOTH HAVE DIFFERENT SYMBOLS NEXT TO THEM. The CD is out of the computer
That is really strange. The only thing I can think of is to insert that system install/restore CD and startup from it like I explained earlier, click next at the language screen when it starts up, click the Utilities menu heading. But this time click Disk Utility. When Disk Utility opens, click on your hard drive then click Repair Permissions. After that, click Repair Disk also. Then restart and see if things work properly then.
Repair permissions starts to work freezes up and i get a message disk utility has lost its connection with the disk management tool and cannot continue . please quit and relaunch. I did that three times. Should i bring the computer to the apple store
That very well could be the solution. Either that or do a reinstall of the system software. If you need help doing that, here is Apple's site on the options reinstalling:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8177.html

Here is the Apple page on doing a Archive & Install:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1710
Rob
Rob
Rob, Mac Genius