Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

when streaming online my mini mac keeps puting going to sleep

Customer Question
for no reason...
when streaming online my mini mac keeps puting going to sleep for no reason
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
9/2/2009
Mac Support Specialist: Derick The Mac Guy, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
Derick The Mac Guy
Derick The Mac Guy, Mac Genius
Good Morning,

This may be as simple as changing a preference in system preferences. The screen saver and sleep are more often then not controlled by lack of movement of the mouse or keyboard during normal use. If you set your computer to stream a movie, or music, you aren't typically using the mouse or keyboard and the computer will often take that as idle action and initiate the screensaver, or sleep dependent upon your settings. Here's how you change that.

First Open System Preferences (Found under your Apple icon, or often in your dock). Once system preferences is open we can then click on the Energy Saver, then you can move the slider for "Put the Computer to Sleep," too Never. You may have to click the show details button to see the sliders.

This setting can be changed quickly and often without issues.

Thanks,
Derick
the sleep is on too never.but it still goes to sleep
Interesting. We may be looking at a power issue which there are some resets for that may get you back on track.
Here's a link:

SMC(System Management Controller) reset:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1543

This reset is known to help with sleep issues.

Thanks,
Derick
Derick The Mac Guy
Derick The Mac Guy, Mac Genius
have reset system management controller .still goes to sleep. do you think reinstalling the software on my mac will help
Performing an Archive and install of the OS would not be a bad idea. Here is a walkthrough:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1545

Thanks,
Derick
ok i will try it then
i think its going to sleep because my mac gets hot.can you give me any ideas
Good Morning,

Cooling stands often help with portable computers and may help your mac mini as well.

http://www.macmall.com/ttsvr/p/Belkin-Computer-/-Printer-Stands/product~dpno~7204291~pdp.eagjjdc

Also simply ensuring your macmini has plenty of air getting to it is a good way to keep it from over heating. Try not to tuck it away behind your TV, or on the floor. Make sure nothing is blocking the intake on the bottom of the mini.

Thanks,
Derick
Derick The Mac Guy
Derick The Mac Guy, Mac Genius
Derick The Mac Guy
Derick The Mac Guy
Derick The Mac Guy, Mac Genius