Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

MacBook Pro running Leopard, will not let me login...error

Customer Question
message says "Your File Vault-protected...
MacBook Pro running Leopard, will not let me login...error message says "Your File Vault-protected home folder did not open & needs to be repaired." Have tried booting up with Start Up disk to reset password XXXXX same error appears. Have tried resetting Pram, same error message appears. Have tried restarting and holding down C key, same error appears. Have tried restarting and holding D key, same error appears.

FYI: This error appeared after someone put a corrupted PC cd in the drive. Couldn't get cd out of drive, so we held power button down to shut down, then restarted holding the track pad button to kick cd out.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
9/1/2009
Mac Support Specialist: Daniel, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
Daniel, Mac Genius
Hello my name is Dan.
You did all the right things so far.
A normal admin user account is not enough to reset a lost FileVault password. If you could what would the point in having FileVault be?

If your login password XXXXX work then you must use the Master Password XXXXX required to do anything to the protected user files.

If you do not have that then you have a big paper weight or you will have to start over from a new OS install, everything is lost without that master password.
You must have at least one of those two passwords to recover a FileVault account. The master password XXXXX be reset but will be of no help for the locked user. Not even Apple can help you nor the NSA, that is the point and strength also its weakness.

If you do know the Master Password, Mac OS X provides two methods to reset FileVault passwords, one    is in the accounts preference pane that you can't get to and two is in the login window by pressing the password XXXXX button (this does not reset the keychain password), enter the master password XXXXX click login. You will have to dismiss a keychain warning dialog by clicking OK.

Now read all boxes carefully and follow the prompts.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Thank you...I was afraid of that.
Sorry, that is why I don't use it. Unless you are in an environment that requires that level of security.
Daniel, Mac Genius