Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

I've never been able to make MAIL work on any of several…

I've never been able to...
I've never been able to make MAIL work on any of several Macs over the years.
I currently use an iMac 10.4.1.1
I cannot get MAIL to work on it.
It keeps asking me for my password, which I don't know.
But there is no way to find out what the password *****
A couple times I thought I was successful in installing a new password.
But the program told me my new password ***** no good.
This is maddening.
Thank you for any support,
Vince Johnson
8/29/2009
Daniel, Mac Genius
Hello my name is Dan.
Have you setup any accounts in Mail?
What email client are you using, such as RoadRunner or Gmail or AOL?
Who is your internet service provider?
Don't know about any acct setups.
I use Gmail
Almost always on Yahoo browser
I have a Gmail account and will include the setup for this.
graphic

And:

graphic

Make sure that what you have in the Mail preferences account has all this in it.
Keep me posted please.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Relist: No answer yet.
That form that I sent you is what is needed for an account in mail to use with Gmail.
Look at this Mail support site. It goes into detail on how to set Mail up to send and receive email.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2500
Relist: Answer quality.
Your fix was washed out. Discovered your (5-point-print) after my last msg to you. So tiny it was un-readable. How cum?
Please number the steps.
1,2,3
I have no idea why the print was so small. Try Command + to make it bigger because I haven't changed the font or size.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2500

Here it is one more time.
I would have liked you to reply to the question instead of the feedback page, I don't leave people hanging with out finishing the job.

The problem is with Gmail not liking the password ***** Mail. Yahoo while free doesn't play nice with Mac Mail without jumping through hoops where the paid yahoo mail does work with Mac Mail.

As for passwords being rejected the most common cause is misspelled or some caps or all caps or missing letters or numbers. This is the case in 99% of password ***** The other 1% is it being setup incorrectly.

I know that that is not only my personal experience but the consensus of professional computer techs.

Which means that if you look very closely and compare passwords and user names you will find the problem.

That is the best I can do for you.