Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple trained Technician, A+ Certified, 20+ years of Mac support, repairs, training, and consulting
4906461

Accidentally put system files in trash and computer wont restart.

Customer Question

Accidentally put system files in trash and computer won't restart. Did not empty trash, so they are still there. It keeps coming to a prompt that says "panic: We are hanging here..." It won't boot from a software install or restore disk either. It was running Mac OS 10.0.3. What can be done?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.

What disk are you trying to boot from?

The original install disk? or is it from somewhere else?

How are you trying to boot from that disk?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Unfortunately, the only Mac disks I have are iMac disks. I don't have the original instalI disks. I figure that's why it won't boot from them when I hold down the C key at startup.
Expert:  Mike replied 8 years ago.
Yes, that is correct. You need either retail installer disks or the original disks for that Mac.

Other than that, it would be next to impossible to do with it alone.

But, do you have another Mac and a Firewire cable) Does the Mac in trouble have Firewire on it?

If so, you can connect the 2 together and maybe be able to move those files from the Trash back to there proper locations. Then it should (fingers crossed) boot up again.