Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Im using Leopard 10.57 mac and Safari browser, which I like;

Customer Question
I'm using Leopard 10.57 mac...
I'm using Leopard 10.57 mac and Safari browser, which I like; but I'm open...but wary...I didn't like Moxilla/Firefox last time I updated 3.5 (required) by Apple and Moxilla required by Stumpleupon basic version of Moxilla. Don't know what do. I love this site so much.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
8/3/2009
Mac Support Specialist: Daniel, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
Daniel, Mac Genius
Hello, my name is Dan.
I am not sure what you are asking. But some basic info will help.
How new are you to the Mac?
Have you owned a computer before you got the Mac?
Also it would help if I knew what model Mac it is and its speed, its OS version. (can be found in the drop down menu under the Apple in the upper left corner.
Do you have the free Yahoo or the premium version?
Which version of Safari do you have?
Thanks.
1. I am new to Mac
2. Yes, I owned a Sony Viao, Windows ME, then XP, IE, and AOL-subscribed
3. The speed/model of my mac is OS X 10.5.7, processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4. I'm sharing this computer with my domestic partner, and we're both administrators, logging in separately; we don't know each other's passwords.
5. No, I haven't updated to premium Yahoo yet, because i don't think they think i'm ready yet or something; actually, i've been asked, but i can't remember the results of why it didn't work
6. I have Safari 4.0.2
again, thanks a lot
Now that I know that it brings me to just what is it you want help with? I can't see a clear question.
Please flesh it out for me so I can better answer you.
Okay. I'll try my best. I've got a couple of very specific issues.
1. Stumble, last time I tried to log in, told me I didn't have correct browser needed; said i needed latest firefox; i went to firefox, even though i didn't want to, but Stumble said i only needed earliest version 1.0, but mac would only let me update/download 3.5, which looks very complicated to me and I don't want more on my plate with these new systems i'm already using.
2. Yahoo Chat/messenger keeps reporting that I'm accessing from a different computer, i assume simultaneously, but this can't be possible. I have one pc at home and a school-provided desktop pc at work--a dell with Outlook, which I use for basic lesson planning, gradebook, etc.
3. I think I need "fireflash"? should i order quickly?
4. I'm getting the feeling that my identity is being used or, perhaps, that these new "intuitive" computer systems are sensing that i'm someone else or on a watch list. I don't know. I do know I'm on Vista's watch list because I really did go off on them a few times and absolutely let them know when stuff worked and when it failed miserably; it did not meet my needs whatsoever.
5. I'm gay. I think systems/co. assume I'm a female sometimes and that might configure into the problem.
????
I wrote as fast as possible, but i hope i was clear enough.
thanks,
Paul
Being gay has nothing to do with it. I have found that as far as being easy to use Mac is the one.
That said it is still a machine and as such needs input from you.
I will have to look at Stumble as I am not familiar with it and can't say at this time. But will konw more shortly.
The Mac comes with a very good email application that will work with your ISPs email account. It can handle Yahoo Premium with ease but the free one is problematic.
Your Mac has all the software built in that you need for email, internet surfing and lots of other things.
As far as you needing Firefox that is not true.
If Safari has an issue with Stumble then in the Safari Preferences under Advanced check the box to show Develop in the menu bar.
Try the above. Do not be afraid of exploring your Mac. Just don't trash anything unless you put it there yourself. If you should click Apply and decide you didn't want to it can easily be undone in most cases.
Keep me posted.
Daniel, Mac Genius
Thank you. I thought we were using cell text options instead of threaded conversation; and I just was told never to ask for specific advice about anything. So, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX help. I'll pay.
Thank you. If you are still not comfortable with your Mac and would like further assistance I am here.
An update to my last answer.
I looked at Stumble and was unimpressed. Way too much going on to keep track of.
I like sites that are simple and easy to navigate, the ones that don't take rocket science to figure out.
My recommendation to you is YouTube and Google using Safari. If you find a site that doesn't work quite right then (turn on this feature in Safari preferences in the Advanced tab, there is a check box to show in the menu bar), select Firefox as the user agent. It will be much easier to use.
Daniel, Mac Genius