Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Just bought small JVC camcorder with hard drive to store lots

Just bought small JVC...
Just bought small JVC camcorder with hard drive to store lots of video so I can easily and quickly download to my Imac G 5 with ext. hard drive and send out small 2-4 minute decent quality videos. The cam did not come with Mac software and I am trying out isky to convert for Imovie, but it took 6 hours for a 2 minute video. What is the best way for to do this? Did I buy the wrong thing?
Terry
8/2/2009
Ashik, Mac Technician
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What version of Mac OS X are you using ? (Click on the Apple icon and select "About This Mac")

What is the format/suffix of the file that you are converting from ? (Right click on the video file that you want to convert, select "Get Info" from the pop-up, in the GetInfo window you can see the file name with suffix on the botXXXXX XXXXXke video.mov, video.mpg, video.avi etc)
Mac OS X 10.4.11

MOV.00a.MOD
MOV.00b.MOD, etc.
hmm...i didn't remeber that format...

Could you please send any sample clip to me (the .mod clip). So that i can test it on my mac and i can check which converter is best for this. (please send clip less than 10 MB)

You can upload the file in rapidshare.com. After uploading completed you will get the download links, please post the links in here
i download it and they are MOV files i.e quicktime format. I think the file is already converted into quicktime format from MOD format. I need the MOD files which is directly from your camera.
OK
Not sure how to copy it to you?
when I tried to play those, I got that big grey dice thingy message and it says:

THe apple quicktime MPEG-2 playback component is not installed. when I try to install it, it takes me to my internal hard drive and says I don't have room - i was thinking it might work on my external but don't know what to do??
Just upload the file into rapidshare.com from the external hard drive. Don't open the file....
ok
have been trying to send, but the IM box closed, I just checked my email, so here it is--
http://rapidshare.com/files/262856265/MOV00B.MOD.html

the big grey MPG streamclip squared box opens automatically as you are saying, but it says I do not have the MPEG -2 Playback component:
You will miss the two most important features of MPEG Streamclip:
- you won't be able to play MPEG-2 files and transport streams;
- you won't be able to convert MPEG-2 files and transport streams to QuickTime, DV, AVI.

However, all other features are always available, including playback and conversion of MPEG-1 to QuickTime, DV, AVI, demuxing of MPEG-1 and MPEG-2, AC3 decoding, and conversion from transport streams to MPEG files (useful if you have Toast 6).

MPEG Streamclip is free of charge but the MPEG-2 Playback Component has a small price (around $20/£15/€20 in most countries); you can buy it online from Apple:
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/mpeg2
went to apple.com to buy this and it's $20 as they say, will it download to my computer or is it something they will ship. If this works, my set up is great as these MOD files downloaded easily via USB from this new camcorder.
I'm downloading it and it will take 10-20 miniutes to complete. Sorry...i have slow internet connection. When i completed the download, i will reply back as soon as possible. I'm trying to a find a way to convert the video files for free other than buying any softwares to convert it. Thanks for your patience...

Now you have to download these softwares...

MPEG Streamclip - download and install it
Flip4Mac - download and install it

After the installation completed, restart your Mac. Don't forget to add a bookmark of this page.

(Don't buy the software, first we can try a free method and if it not worked then you can buy it)
If my method works then you can save the 20$.....
I have the MPEG streamclip, but it is saying I need an additional component. When I click "play" now in streamclip, it plays but I don't see anything. So you are saying I can use this flip2mac along with my streamclip instead of the additional streamclip component for $20? Should I download the flip4 mac to my desktop or ext. hard drive, I am low on space if it is big - not sure how everything works together
I never bought the additonal component from apple, but i'm able to use MPEG Streamclip, so downloading Flip4Mac is a worth a try...

It is only 10MB. so your internal hard disk can save it.
Okay...i downloaded your video and i converted it without any problems.

First download and install Flip4Mac. Then install MPEG Stream Clip and open it.
Then drag the *.MOD files that you want to convert in the middle (dots) of the the MPEG Stream clip window.
graphic
Now you can see the video file in the MPEG Stream clip window. After that, goto File menu and choose Export to DV.

graphic

Adjust the required setting in there and click Make DV. You'll be prompted to save the file. So save it and after the conversion finished, you can import the video file in iMovie.
graphic

i'm not sure if it will work for you, but its worth a try. If it didn't worked then you need to buy the software for $20 and i hope it will work.

Only Click ACCEPT after it worked !
to your last post - what is DV? I am ultimately trying to send videos over internet to others. I was planning on using yousendit
DV is the Digital Video, If you want to edit the video in iMovie or other editing programs you must use DV, because it will decrease the rendering time of video, fast editing, won't loss quality on editing etc..etc..etc

If you just want to send them to others then you can use Quicktime format i.e *.mov

Hope this helps !

Only Click ACCEPT after it worked !
OK, back from church, and I downloaded the flip4mac, but when I drop the file into streamclip, the play button starts, but nothing is playing, just the blank grey screen. It is still saying I need the $20 MPEC component/missing. I mush be doing something wrong if yours worked?
I'm a video editor and i'm using Final Cut Studio, so may be the MPEG components may installed with Final Cut Studio...thats why its working for me. So i think you have to buy either a video converter or the MPEG Component for $20.

If you want to buy a Video Converter then you can try, Mac Video Converter : Click Here to download (Trial Version, Please try the trial version before buying)

OR
You have to buy the MPEG Component for $20....and you don't have to replace your iMac or Camera. You have got a G5, it is a good computer.

Only click ACCEPT after it worked

Best Regards,
Yeah! I downloaded the MPEG-2 player component for $20 and it worked. Thanks. Can I add another $9 to continue this conversation to my next step = not sure how to get it from the mpeg stream player into
yousendit.com for others to play. I also need to make sure I store all these clips somewhere where I have room - like my external hard drive - how can I get you back for step 2?
We can just continue in this question. I will help continue to help you until the problem is solved. You don't have to add $9 to continue. The question will only closes after you click the Accept button. If you want to pay more, then you will have the oppurtunity to give me a bonus after accepting the answer. So we can continue in this question....

Are you ready ?
Yes,
So here is the big picture.
My son is an actor and his agent in LA wants me to send video of him when he gets a script for a part from a director in LA. So, I will video it, then she wants me to use something she can also see and forward on. (SHe suggested yousendit, but whatever works for most would be best). I clicked on file export like you said, and chose export to DV and saved one test video to my ext. hard drive, which worked. Is that the correct next step?
Congratulations to your Son ! For being an ActorSmile

DV is the Digital Video which is useful if you want to edit it in iMovie, Final Cut Pro or in other programs. If you just want to convert the video into a good video format then you can convert it as a quicktime movie file. Here is a good tutorial for you !

Drag the video file into MPEG Streamclip...then..

1. Click on the menu File and choose "Export to Quicktime".
  2. On the "Compression" drop down option, choose the video output format, i choose H.263 (HD Quality)
graphic
3 - On "Quality", move the slider to increase the quality size. In "Frame Size", choose the best option you want and click the button "Make Movie". You will prompted to enter the detination place, so choose the place that you want save the converted file.
graphic
You can see the progress of converting....
- After comverting completed, you can see the video file is converted into *.mov format i.e into quicktime format.

Now you can send it...

Only Click ACCEPT after it worked !

Best Regards,
Ashik, Mac Technician
Ashik, Mac Technician