Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I am making cold calls to big and small offices of individuals.

I can't call one office...
I am making cold calls to big and small offices of individuals. I can't call one office more than every 2 hours (60 calls) or I risk being screened out. The offices and individuals are ranked so I can sort them in order of priority. I take care of that before this process. This process would produce a prioritized list that I could call line-by-line without getting screened. I am using Excel 2008 for Mac.

1.     Insert first row from Data List to first row on New List (after Header Row)
a.     Delete first row from DL
2.     Check “Address” field of next row on Data List against last 59 row's “Address"es on New List
a.     If match exists, disregard and repeat Step 2 with next row
b.     If no match exists, add row to New List
   i.     Delete row from DL
   ii.     Repeat Step 2 with next row
3.     Stop when 60 lines have been filled on New List
4.     Repeat Steps 2&3 from top of Data List until 60 consecutive rows on New List cannot be filled with unique addresses
5.     Stop

The deletion prevents duplication. TY.
7/18/2009
John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering

Are you looking for a way to automate this process, i.e. using a macro? If so Excel 2008 only supports Applescript code, would you consider using Excel 2004 or Excel on Windows?

Downloading 2004 now.
Wait. That was a stupid update. If that's what I need, I will get it.

Let me know when you're ready.

ok. what i've got is a dinosaur frrankenstein pc running 2003

Do you mean you also have Excel 2003 on another PC running Windows OS?

Yes.

Ok, do you have the file with the Data List (or sample data list) that I can use to base the macro on?

Yes, but I am at a restaurant right now. I will be home in around 1/2 an hour. Am I going to get the macro if it works? I have a lot of different lists that I want to be able to apply this to.

Sure. I will write the macro and send it to you once I get the data file. Here are the instructions for uploading you file.

1. go to http://fileqube.com
2. click ‘Browse' then select your file
3. click ‘agree and upload' button (when it finishes uploading a new page will be displayed)
4. click on the link next to 'Download link' and copy that link, then come back to this page and paste the download link in your reply.

"Branch Address" is the address in question.
I don't know much about implementing macros. A little guidance would be appreciated. Also, is there a way to tip? This will be a tremendous help to my business.
I'm sorry. It is actually "Firm Street". There will be additional columns in the data this will be applied to: "Firm Street" will be column "T" and total data range for columns will be (A:BD). Need anything else?

Got it, thanks.

Will start working on it shortly and will send it out as soon as I am done, If I find that I need more information I will let you know.

John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering

Thanks for the accept.

Question::

You wrote:

b. If no match exists, add row to New List
i. Delete row from DL

- To which row it should be added, and which data should the added row have?

- Which row should be deleted from Data List?

It should go in the next available row on the New List. The added row should have all data. The row just added to the New List should be deleted. Each time 60 rows have been added to the New List, I want it to start again from the top. Deleting the data from the Data List as it is added to the New List prevents duplication.
I meant to leave positive feedback for you. You deliver something that works as described and I'll pay you double.

Ok, here is the initial version for testing.

FILE

I tried to follow your outline literally but in the absence of real data in the New List it was not possible to fully understand the concept and hence to test it properly. Had to create some arbitrary data in the New List so that the macro can run.

To run the macro press Ctrl + Q.

Please make sure that your Excel options is set to allow macros to run, otherwise nothing will happen when you try to run the macro.

Go ahead and test it out and let me know the changes or adjustments that you need.

I have to leave now for a few hours. Will be back this evening to pick up any message you may have left and make the adjustments.

Thanks.

Here is a new workbook with the full data set in "Master". "New List" contains the result of running the macro with cell A1 selected.

http://www.fileqube.com/file/IxQPVi206236

In the new list, I hope for no repeating values in the "Firm Address" in 60 consecutive rows. As you can see, this is not true. If you need to fill the first 60 rows, you could use the "CRD Number" column to substitute for addresses as these are all unique.

Hi again,

I am not sure I understand where the duplicates should not be (between the New List and the Data List, or between the items within the New List, or between the items within the Data List,

To the best of my understanding the macro that I sent you does what you have outlined, step by step. I may have misinterpreted a step or two or you may have been unclear on some of the steps, that is why I would like to tell me which step in your instruction was not followed properly so that I can adjust that part of the macro,

The duplicates should not appear in column "T" ("Firm Address) in the 59 rows previous the one to be filled on the New List. Let's try this:

1.     Insert first row from Data List to first row on New List
a.     Delete first row from DL

2.     Check "T" column of next row on Data List against "T" column in previous 59 row's on New List
   i.     Delete added row from DL
   ii.     Repeat Step 2 with next row

4.     Repeat Steps 2&3 from top of Data List until "T" column of 60 consecutive rows on New List cannot be filled with unique values

5.     Stop

Does that help?

In other words rows 3 through 24 should not be in the New List?

They should not appear in the first 60 rows. They should be disregarded as duplicates.

After filling 60 rows, it should start again from the top of the Data List and do it again.

So you should end up with Row 2 on the Data List as Row 2 on the New List and Row 3 on the Data List as Row 62 on the New List. And so on until you cannot fill 60 rows on the New List with unique column "T" values

Make sense?

Still something is missing!

1. Insert first row from Data List to first row on New List
a. Delete first row from DL

*** So by now New List has only one row of data

2. Check "T" column of next row on Data List against "T" column in previous 59 row's on New List

*** But at this point New List has only one row of data, so how does 'provisos 59 rows' apply

Can you create 60 rows and fill "T" with copied "A" ("CRD Numbers", which are unique to each row and will not be = to any value in "T") to subsitiute? Then Start at 61?

I can worry about the header row later.

So Row 2 in Data List becomes Row 61 in New List. Row 3 in Data List becomes Row 121 in New List.

I can remember to inert the substitute rows each time if necessary.

I am sorry we are jumping around from one issue to another. I asked a question and I got a confusing answer which does not specifically answer my question. The issue may be clear to you but it is not to me yet.

I can fix the macro to do exactly what you have outlined without going into the concept of the process, if you can clarify the points that I asked you about. If you do not think doing this will provide the solution let me know so that I can ask the moderator to refund you the amount that you have authorized to pay when you clicked the accept.

Okay. Don't worry. I'm sure I haven't been clear. It's hard to articulate. What points do you need clarified at this point?

Would it be helpful if I provided you with 59 or 60 rows of data to start the new list?
Is there a way we can talk? That way we can be sure to be understood.
(832) (NNN) NNN-NNNN

Yes I think that would help. I will then modify the macro to follow your outline exactly, then you can test it and tell me if there are changes needed. But please review your outline in view of these communications to make sure it includes all the points that you have mentioned as I will only be using the outline.

If you can provide the information tonight I will work on it in the morning and hope to send it out to you by noon time pacific.

Re your question about talking on the phone, I am afraid communication by phone or personal email is not allowed on this site.

Great. I will reply with an up to date outline and a new .xls which contains a "Data List" sheet (for consistency) with the data to be manipulated and a "New List" Sheet containing 60 rows of data at the top. Thank you again.

Sounds good.

Here's the .xls

http://www.fileqube.com/file/HrTkyj206239

I have two versions of the outline. Use whatever helps you and works:

Here's the first version of the outline:

1.     Insert first row from Data List (Row 2) to first row on New List (Row 61)
a.     Delete first row from DL

i.     Delete added row from Data List
     ii.     Repeat Step 2 with next row

5.     Stop

Here is the second version:

a.     Delete first row from DL

2.     Check "T" column of next row on Data List against "T" column in the 59 row's previous the next row to be filled on New List
     i.     Delete added row from Data List
     ii.     Repeat Step 2 with next row

3.     Stop when 60 lines have been added to new list.

4.     Start again with row 2 in the Data List (which should be different than the first time around due to the deletion) and repeat steps 1, 2 & 3, filling in the next 60 rows on the New List.

5.     Repeat Step 4 until it is not possible to fill 60 rows with unique values of "T"

6.     Stop

Ok here we go

This covers steps 1, 2 and 3

http://wikisend.com/download/531574/For%20John%201.xls

Once we get this part finalized then we will go to step 4.

I have added serial numbers in columns BF and colored the relevant columns for ease of tracking and testing. We can of course remove them later.

Note 1:

This statement "1- Insert first row from Data List (Row 2) to first row on New List (Row 61)" is understood to mean add to first available row on New List (Row 1) and not "first row" on the sheet which is row 1.

Note 2:

This statement " 2. Check "T" column of next row on Data List against "T" column in previous 59 row's on New List"" is understood to mean that the checking will always be done against the original 59 rows which do not include the ones that have been recently added.

Let me know how it goes.

We are close. Note 1 is right on.

Note 2:

- I most definitely want it to check the recently added rows.

Change the quoted text in Note 2 to:

- 2. Check "T" column of next row on Data List against "T" column in the 59 rows previous the next available row on New List"

Hope that helps. It would be nice if I could italicize or bold or something for emphasis or to differentiate quotes.
I guess that should really be changed in the outline.

Here you go. Take 3!

http://wikisend.com/download/612446/For%20John%202.xls

I hope this one is ok.

John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering
Wow. Thank you. It is perfect. This will work and it's worth the payment. Now can you make it repeat through the Data List?
Wait a sec... Gotta deposit funds.

Glad to hear that. Thank you very much for the bonus and feedback.

The difficult part was to fully understud the requirement.

Yes I will work on the remaining part now and will get back to you as soon as I am done.

You know... With the right package, we could make a mint off this. Are you a programmer?

lol. Yes everything that has to do with excel. In fact this question should have been posted in the programming section, that is where I am mostly at.

Are you a junior?

I will need an accept to answer this one! lol.

Don,

Please check if this one does the looping the way you want it. There was a slight discrepancy in item 4 between the two versions of the outline (i.e. repeat step 2, or repeat steps 1, 2, & 3). So i am not sure if I chose the intended interpretation.

http://wikisend.com/download/666260/For%20John%203.xls

It's perfect. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX are a gentleman and a scholar. Thnak you for your patience and the great work!

You're very welcome. Hope to see you back if you have other questions in the future.

Best!

Is there a way to ask for you in the future?

Sure, just write "For John D" in the subject or the body of the question.

Got it.

When I walked away from my previous firm last month, I walked away from $220K TYD. That was just my cut of the commissions paid my firm for doing just what I'll be doing now.

What you have done for me will increase my productivity when making cold calls by at least 2X; probably more like 3 or 4.

Here's the deal. I'm going to ask you a question at the beginning of 2011. I'll pay you at least .1% of 2010 gross for the answer. Don't plan your retirement or anything, but I will ask the question if you are still in the system.

I wish you and yours all the best in everyting you do.

Best Regards,

Don Palmer, President
Horizon Placement Partners, LLC

Interesting.

Thank you for your confidence and good luck with your new business.

John D
John D
John D, BS Degree in Engineering