Ashik, Mac Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), 9+ Years of Experience in troubleshooting Macs, iPhone, iPad, iPod etc
16433418

I was waiting for 45 minutes for someone to get back to me

Customer Question

I was waiting for 45 minutes for someone to get back to me but...

I deleted some mail boxes from my IMAC OS-X 10.5.7 while downloading some updates. I can no longer access my info as it is asking me for my master password XXXXX which I have no recollection.

Please help

Bill Thomas [email protected]
XXX-XXX-XXXX
Category: Mac
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 years ago.
Hi I am Ashik. I think i can help you
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You didn't got any response because, you posted the question on wrong category.

I need some information from you.

I think you have the Mac OS X installation disks. Right ?

And, are you unable to log-in to your Mac ?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Terrific!

Expert:  Ashik replied 8 years ago.
Hi Bill Thomas,

Are you able to log-in to your Mac or is it just asking password XXXXX log-in ?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Cannot log in. Asking for password
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 years ago.
You can reset the the administrator password XXXXX the Mac OS X installation disks
  • Start up from a Mac OS X Install disc. Usually, you can start from the disc by putting it in your computer, restarting, and holding the C key.
  • Choose Reset Password XXXXX the Installer menu (or Utilities menu in Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger).
  • Select your Mac OS X hard disk volume. Select the user name of your original administrator account.
  • Enter a new password XXXXX Click Save.
Now you can log-in to your Mac with the new password.

Only click ACCEPT if my solution worked. Please let me know how it goes before Accepting
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
didn't work
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 years ago.
Are you able to boot from the disk ?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 years ago.
Insert the Mac OS X disk 1 and restart your Mac. Immediately hold down the Option key on your keyboard before the chime sound till a new window appears. From the window you can see two options, one is your hard drive and another one is the CD Drive. Select the CD drive/icon and double click on it or press return (in keyboard). This should boot your Mac from the disk.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no. I think this have something to do wireless keyboard.
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 years ago.
So you are using a wireless keyboard...wireless keyboards are not supported for this process because they need to be paired before start using it (i meant, it can't be used without Mac OS booted) So you need a wired keyboard inorder to boot from the disk.

Expert:  Ashik replied 8 years ago.
Are you able to boot from the disk with wired keyboard ?