Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

Ive not been able to open google consistently for the past

Customer Question
I've not been able to...
I've not been able to open google consistently for the past 24 hours. All other search engines open just fine (I've tried about 10 ... yahoo, dogpile, bing, powerset, duck duck go, leapfish, cuil, quaero, and others).

From time to time, I might be able to open, say, google web but not google maps, or google images but then not google web ... but I could only do that if I did a search for google through another search engine. Most important, I cannot access my gmail account at all.

I've tried everything, from turning my computer off and rebooting to clearing my browsing history, cache, and cookies.

Please help!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
7/3/2009
Mac Support Specialist: Mike, Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Mike, Mac Support Specialist

Try this in your address bar and lets see if it is a DNS issue cusing this to happen.

Type or copy/paste this address exactly:
64.233.187.99
Hit return and then tell me what happens.

Hi Mike - I pasted in the string of numbers and after two minutes, I got a "Page Load Error" message that reads:

Network Timeout

The server at 64.233.187.99 is taking too long to respond.

The requested site did not respond to a connection request and the browser has stopped waiting for a reply.

* Could the server be experiencing high demand or a temporary outage? Try again later.
* Are you unable to browse other sites? Check the computer's network connection.
* Is your computer or network protected by a firewall or proxy? Incorrect settings can interfere with Web browsing.
* Still having trouble? Consult your network administrator or Internet provider for assistance.
OK,

Thats odd. It is not a DNS issue.

It does mention firewalls. Do you have your OS X firewall running?

Mike - I have no idea if my OS X firewall is running. My husband says that we have a firewall as part of our Verizon security package; he has no idea if it has anything to do with my Mac, however. Moreover, we've always had the firewall, and we've never had a problem with google before in the 5+ years we've been using it as our primary search engine.

By the way, here are two more bits of info: (1) My husband is also having a problem opening google, as of yesterday, on his PC laptop; and (2) I can access gooogle, including my gmail account, on my BlackBerry.
Ok,

Then it may be something in the router. Does your Blackberry use WIFI in your house? or does it use the cell network web access?

I think maybe a call to Verizon is in order since it is affecting both you and your hubands computers and is NOT a Mac thing.

It may be they did an update to your router and it maybe set something unintentionally.

Mike, Mac Support Specialist
Mike - Yes, it's cell network web access for my BB. We were wondering if maybe we should call Verizon, so you have confirmed that that's the next step. Thanks so much! Great working with you.

Kathy
Mike - I hope my payment went through correctly. I was under the impression that as soon as I clicked "Accept," my PayPal account would be charged $9. But I wanted to add a $5 bonus, which I did, but it's showing that I ONLY paid $5. So, let me know if I still owe the $9. Thanks.
All looks good.

Thanks and please do come back again.
Thanks!
Mike, Mac Support Specialist