Daniel, Mac Genius
Experience:  Apple certified on desktop and portable, help desk qualified. Have owned and used Macs since 1989.
19098653

Suddenly my SimpleTech 500 GB external hard drive is not being

Suddenly my SimpleTech 500 GB external hard drive is not being detected by my mac. I have three of these same hard drives. The two that were plugged in disappeared off the screen and I cannot get them back. The third that was not plugged in is still detected when I do plug it in. So I know it's the drive not the computer.
Category: Mac
Expert:  Daniel replied 8 years ago.
Sorry to hear that it can be very frustrating.
I have had SimpleTech drives and found them to be very unreliable. If it has SimpleTech on the package I leave it on the shelf and keep looking.
My opinion not JustAnswer's.
That said, there is a chance the contents can be rescued with ProSoft's Data Rescue. I have had limited success with Data Rescue on SimpleTech drives.
I do recommend getting a good external from Western Digital, Maxtor, Seagate or any of good quality. This is one I use and it works. http://www.pexagontech.com/