Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

my IMAC has a number of ICONS on the dock has dissapeared

Customer Question
my IMAC has a...
my IMAC has a number of ICONS on the dock has dissapeared and my superdrive ejects all disks including the OS leopard disk. Please HELP.

Derrick
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
7/2/2009
Mac Support Specialist: MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Hello, and thank you for asking your question,
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you provide me with the following information, so I can better assist you with your technical question:
• What version of Mac OS X are you using on your Mac?
(i.e. "Mac OS X 10.5.6 or Mac OS X 10.4.11, etc" -)
( If not sure how to check version of Mac OSX system- Click on Apple icon (Apple Menu) on upper left corner of screen- from the menu select "About this Mac" - you will see your version in the popup window)

• When you say your Dock has disappeared, do you mean,it is not appearing at the bottom of your screen and you are unable to "unHide" the Dock in System Preferences so you can see it?

Your answers to the questions I have submitted, will allow me to work with more detailed information, in order to effectively answer your question.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be looking forward to your reply. Thank you!

Regards,

-TD
MacTechTrainer
My IMAC has been updated to OS LEOPARD. Idid not say my dock dissapeared, i said some of the icons are no longer on my dock eg. Magic dvd, IPHOTO, KEYNOTE and my CD/DVD ejects all disks including my OS LEOPARD install disk.
Regards,Customer
Thanks for your reply Derrick.

However, you unfairly gave me a negative feedback, without even allowing me to fully assist you.

Please keep in mind you are not obligated to accept a MacExpert's answer until you
are satisfied.

I was researching this issue for you via my resource database in order to see how to assist you by asking questions first. I apologize for the Answer screen you saw, it should have read "Info Request" so I am not sure how that happened, but I assure you, that was not my answer.

I just received your update a short while ago and am now looking into compiling an answer for you.

Now my next question, is are you still seeking assistance from me?

-TD
Hello Derrick, a few more factors for you to review for your benefit when coming to JustAnswer.com for help with your Mac question.

I cannot receive in clear conscious receive an Accept as a Mac tech from a dissatisfied customer or one of whom I have not be able to assist effectively.
To be proactive, as this is business I have a few options for you to consider.

If you decide that you no longer seek to have me assist you (although I would still be more than happy to) you do one of three things:

•Continue allowing me to assist you with your issue/question (recommended)

• Opt me out as the Customer, and seek assistance from another available MacExpert.

-OR-

• Refer to information below in order to request a refund on your recent deposit/payment:

(NOTE: As MacExpert, I cannot process a request for a refund
of your payment. However, I can definitely provide the information you need to expedite your request
.)

All you need to do is one use of these two options to have JustAnswer.com process your refund:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contact JustAnswer Customer Service via telephone at:

(415)(NNN) NNN-NNNNx 4 (Monday - Friday, 9am-6pm Pacific Time)

-OR-

Email JustAnswer Customer Service
At: [email protected]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this helps and I do appreciate you allowing me to at least attempt to assist you with your question. I hope you will resume seeking assistance on your current Mac issue. However that is completely at your discretion. Thank you.

Best Regards,

-TD
I have not received a reply from you Derrick and I can understand considering it is 3AM (PST) in my locale.

Being obligated because you are a valued customer with us here at JustAnswer.com who has already paid for our service, I would like to recommend you attempt this procedure (below), to see if we can correct the issue you are having.

• First, shutdown your Mac.

• Once your Mac is shutdown, you will need to perform what is called a PRAM reset (Parameter RAM)
This should help with the freezing issue:

• Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously .

• Turn on the computer.
• Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

• Now, hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the third time.

• Release the keys and allow the Macbook to start up.

• Check your desktop and functionality with your Superdrive to see if there has been any improvement.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the PRAM reset did not work, try this procedure:

-SAFE BOOT MODE-
• Reboot your Mac
• Upon restarting your Mac, press the Shift key.
• Hold the Shift key until you see a White Screen with Gray Apple icon and eventually a spinning gear.
• When you see the Spinning gear, release the Shift key.
• Allow the Mac to continue booting up. Also this may take a little while

(NOTE: this may take anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes to load to the Safe mode screen depending on the performance of your Mac, but if it exceeds this time, shutdown your Mac and try just once more. It may have just frozen up the first time around for you.)
• You are going to enter the Safe Mode (which looks like your main desktop enviroment the only difference is certain startup items are disabled.)

• Once within the Desktop in Safe Mode
• From the Finder Menu, click Go> Go to Folder
• Type in this line: /System/Library/StartupItems
• This path, is going to take you to the System Library folder which has all of your Mac OS X Startupitems.
• Remove all of those folders to the Trash.

*Reboot your Mac normally and see if you can access your normal User desktop, see your Dock icons and use your Superdrive

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
• Please update me to let me know if either of these procedures help.

If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue prior to beginning this recommended procedure, please feel free to reply to this post, as I am always ready to assist. Thank you!

-TD
MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer