MacTechTrainer
MacTechTrainer, Sr. Mac Support Specialist
Experience:  Apple Certified Desktop & Portables Technician, A+, Cross-Platform (Mac/PC) Tech - for over 14 Years
15556539

My MacBook Pro crashed - got gray screen and you need to restart

Customer Question

My MacBook Pro crashed - got gray screen and 'you need to restart your computer...' message in three languages. I have tried to restart it but I just get the same error message.

I have taken out the battery briefly then restarted and pushed cont alt p r. It did the twice start-up, but I just got the same error message.
Category: Mac
Expert:  MacTechTrainer replied 8 years ago.
Hello, and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac.
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue. Now I know you have
performed a PRAM reset, so I am going to recommend you try this procedure:

SMC RESET-
The SMC (System Management Controller) is a computer chip built on the logic board of Mac portables. It is responsible for power management of the computer.

Here are the steps I recommend you try:

• If the computer is on, turn it off.
• Disconnect the AC adapter and remove the computer's
battery.
• Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds and then
release the button.
• Reconnect the battery and AC Adapter.
• Press the power button to restart the computer

If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post as I am always ready to assist. Thank you!

Regards,

-TD
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I've tried this already a few times. I just did it again and I got a loud beep when I pressed the power button after I replaced the battery and power cord. then I got a gray screen with the apple logo and gray spinning wheel. then a darker gray curtain-like effect happend and the 'You need to restart..." error appeared.