Make sure you back up winxp.hdd before doing this!
1. Create a new VM. Configure it any way you want, and get it to the point where you are ready to install the guest OS (presumably Windows).
2. Before installing the guest OS, edit the VM by clicking on the edit button, then click "Add..." beneath the property table.
3. Click "Next", then select "Hard Disk", then "Use an existing hard disk image".
4. Browse to your previous virtual hard disk (the one with the data you want to recover) and choose "Finish".
5. Install the guest OS. Be careful not to install it on the virtual hard disk that you are trying to recover.
6. When you boot into your new installation of Windows, open Explorer, and notice that your old virtual hard disk is mounted and that all your old data is accessible.
You should be able to find .Doc's, .Xsl's etc ie word excel
.... back them up (in fact backup everything to external hard drive just in case)
and if you use MS Outlook C: (slash) Documents and Settings (slash) Username (slash) Local Settings (slash) Application Data (slash) Microsoft (slash) Outlook (slash) Outlook.pst
(slashes have been removed when posted in ecademy, c: should be the drive of the mounted old data and username is XXXXX XXXXX name ) should be easy to find in explorer, however, turn view hidden files and system files on (explorer window tools->folder options ->view). This PST file will contain your emails, backup and copy to new outlook installation (or file open in outlook) and all your emails will be there.