Bob Cook
Bob Cook, Mac Genius
Experience:  I have sold Macintosh Computers since 1984. I started Sun Remarketing in 1983 and sold over 25,000.
16295453

Hello. Im getting error message Cannot open document.

Customer Question

Hello. I'm getting error message:

Cannot open document. You may not have permission or the document may be open already. For multi-user access, close the file and then lock it using the File > Get Infor command in the Finder.

This is occurring all of a sudden with all indd files! There are no multi-users, and nothing is open.

I've been troubleshooting this for about three hours, to no avail. Any suggestions?
Category: Mac
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 8 years ago.
Run the Disk Utility Program in your Utilities Folder.

Click on the button for Repair File Permissions.

Let me know it that does not solve it.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Bob,

Unfortunately, it didn't work. Anything else?
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 8 years ago.
What is an indd file? Did you mean .incd?

When you open an Adobe InCopy CS2 file in Adobe InDesign CS3, InDesign returns the error message, "Cannot open the file <filename>. Adobe InDesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application." That is because InDesign CS2 cannot open InCopy files, these files need to be placed.
Place the InCopy file into the InDesign document.
In InDesign, choose File >Place.
Locate the InCopy (*.incd) document, select it, and click the Open button.
Click the cursor on the document page to place it.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Sorry, you lost me here. I was referring to my In Design files. None of them will open without getting that message and I do not have CS3. I am unfamiliar with the term InCopy CS2. What is that?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Also, not sure if it makes a difference, but the error message isn't "Can not open the file;" It is...

"Cannot open document. You may not have permission or the document may be open already. For multi-user access, close the file and then lock it using the File > Get Infor command in the Finder."

Expert:  Bob Cook replied 8 years ago.
You can right click on the document icon and choose GET INFO... in the pop up box. Make sure the LOCKED checkbox is not selected. Lower in that same dialog box all the File Permissions are listed. You want them to be Read & Write.

So your documents where saved as CS3 and you are trying to load them into CS2?
Where is the CS3 that saved them?
Make sure you have all the Adobe Updates because the updates lets you read CS3 files.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Yes, I have already checked the GET INFO (forgot to mention earlier) and everything is in order: LOCKED box - NOT selected and other permissions are Read & Write.

Documents were never saved as CS3 - I've never had CS3. My apologies if I communicated something to you earlier which was misleading. I have CS2 and all files have been saved as CS2. I've had absolutely no trouble opening any of my files until today. I ran an update for CS2 - just today - thinking that might help, but it didn't.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 8 years ago.
Well, after lots of internet searching, I figured out what the problem maybe.
If you have a CD in the disc drive, for some reason there's a glitch where PS CS2 or CS3 won't open a file. Eject the CD and try it.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
God, I wish it were that easy. But, sorry...no cd in disc drive.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Could moving files to an external hard drive have anything to do with it?
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 8 years ago.
Yes it might. Your original question said that the files would not open because of file lock or file in use by another user issues.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I just realized I moved all of my files off my hard drive last week. And when I was playing around now and found one I missed it opened. Would the hard drive be considered another user?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Hmmm. I just moved one from my hard drive to my desktop and it opened. Why would that make a difference?!? This is infuriating! I just spent all afternoon messing around with this, not to mention the time you put in. I know I have had other In Design files on my hard drive and opened them. Why all of a sudden?
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 8 years ago.
Adobe put this in as a feature so many people could work on the same files. But it's causing you some real grief. I'm glad you found a solution.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Bob,

Sorry...I had to log out for the night. Thank you for your time and assistance - much appreciated.
Expert:  Bob Cook replied 8 years ago.
Thank You!