Mac

Ask Mac Questions and Get Answers from Experts ASAP

Mac

I recently downloaded Photoshop Elements 3 and cannot get the

Customer Question
Status bar to appear in...
I recently downloaded Photoshop Elements 3 and cannot get the Status bar to appear in the Window dropdown in order to click on it. Where it should be near the bottom of the dropdown between "Welcome" and the "Reset Palette Locations" is a blank space. This is on a Mac laptop. How do I activate the Status Bar?

Thank you for considering this.

Earl Guedry
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Mac
6/1/2009
Mac Support Specialist: Rob, Mac Genius replied 8 years ago
Rob
Rob, Mac Genius

When something like this happens you usually have to trash the application's preferences. To do that:

1) Quit Photoshop Elements. If you don't quit the application first this won't work.

2) Open a Finder window by clicking the smiling face icon in the lower left of the Dock.

3) Click your Home folder by clicking the House icon in the left sidebar.

4) Open the Library folder.

5) Open the Preferences folder.

6) Locate the Adobe Photoshop Elements 3 folder and drag it to the trash.

7) Close the Finder window.

8) Launch Elements again and see if all things appear as it did the first time you ever opened it.
Rob

I appreciate your prompt response but I apparently made a mistake in my question because the Photoshop Elements version that I have been using and just installed on a second computer is Photoshop Elements 2. I tried to trash the two folders that were identified with Photoshop but there was no difference.

Earl
Rob

My first computer was a PC; The second is the Mac OS X laptop. However, Elements 2 is what I installed. I have no idea where Elements 3 came from.

I also have Photoshop Elements 4 on a disk that I have never installed. Maybe this version would show the Status Bar on the Mac. The Edit---File Association is also not showing on the little Mac. Perhaps it too might be available on the never tried Photoshop Elements 4 disk.

Earl   
Oh, I was trying to figure out what you meant by status bar. It sounds like you are talking about the Menubar. The very top row of items on the computer like the Apple logo in the left corner, Photoshop Elements, File, Edit, Image, Enhance and so on.

It sounds like someone has installed something that makes it go away. Well, since it has gone away, I know an application that should bring it back! It's called Docker and you can download it here:

The application is actually meant to alter the Dock but, it has a feature that can hide or restore the Menubar in any application.

After downloading Docker, quit Photoshop Elements and open Docker and click the Kiosk button at the top second from the left. There are 2 sets of areas in that window. In the bottom set where it says "Menubar visibility in other Applications". Click Select Application and find Adobe Photoshop Elements (It should be in your Applications folder). Now just under that click it to say Normal. Click Apply. Go open Photoshop Elements and see if the Menubar is there now.

If it is not, quit Photoshop Elements again and go back to Docker. Choose Elements again and choose Hide Dock and Menubar. Click Apply. Then change it back to Normal one more time, click apply and open Photoshop and see if the Menubar is there.
Rob

The Status Bar is a thin strip of information along the bottom edge of the application window. It gives different kinds of information about what you are working on in the selected image but it also prompts you on how to use the current tool. It is just one line at the very bottom of Photoshop Element 2’s main window. It also has a couple of drop-downs (or drop- ups) and a bar that shows progress for things like Transformations.

At the very top of Photoshop Elements 2’s window is a horizontal listing; File, Edit, Image, Enhance, Layer, Select, Filter, View, Window, and Help. The status Bar is available in this Window drop-down near the bottom. It is here that you would check it to show it and it is here that the space is blank on the I Book G4 and so cannot be checked. The very last option that can be checked is Reset Palette Locations just below the Status Bar listing. At the top in the drop-down are things such as Tools, Options, Short Cuts, and so on.

I’m afraid this sounds confusing. Maybe some drop-downs are really pop-ups.

Earl
Ok, I have Photoshop Elements installed on one of my computers right now so, I'm trying to see what you are talking about. It looks to me like there are 2 special toolbars that you might be calling the Status Bar. You can make one appear or disappear by clicking the Window Menu item and selecting Shortcuts. The other one is under the same Window Menu, click Options.
Rob

The Status Bar is the very bottom of the Photoshop window. I don't believe it can be anywhere else and it's only selectable in the window menue drop-down as an item named "Status Bar". It can be checked or unchecked to make it disappear from the bottom of the application's window.

The first item in this single strip at the bottom is a shaded empty box that when an image is being worked on gives a percentage number that's the image zoom level. On my PC that little box is immediately above the START in the lower left hand corner of the monitor. On the Mac the Status Bar would rest on the Dock if the Dock rests along the bottom of the monitors screen when an application is being used.

Earl
Ok, I installed it on a PC too. It's a Windows only feature. It can be turned on and off under the Window menubar. But, it looks like it gives you the same information that is always automatically attached to the bottom of any item that is open in Elements in Mac. So, in Mac it's only there when you have an item you are working on in Elements and is attached to the bottom of it.
Rob

So you say all those items should appear at the bottom of any item open in Elements. OK, I'll check.

Earl
I wouldn't say "All those items" but the same items. I just looked on the Windows machine and the Mac, both with identical versions of Photoshop Elements 2 and in Windows in the status bar and attached to the open file at the bottom frame of the Mac, both have this:

In the lower left corner it show the zoom percentage, then the size of the document in inches, then a black arrow pointing to the right. If you click on the arrow you can select the following:

Document Sizes
Document Profiles
Document Dimensions
Scratch Sizes
Efficiency
Timing
Current Tool

That's all available on both machines, Windows or Mac. The only difference is you can make the status bar disappear in Windows and you can't in Mac.
Rob

The most useful feature of th Status Bar is the part that comes on the right when you are working on an image. It gives information on how to use the current tool and keyboard options. You would have to go to "help" or somewhere for all the relevent tips automatically brought up as you need them. There is also a Progress Bar that shows progress in operations that might take a little time.

Some of the things you mentioned above are indeed available elsewhere but the beauty of the Status Bar is the convenience of having them all available on one bar between the image worked on and the keyboard. I've worked with PE2 a lot and I was assuming the Status bar would show on the little Mac. I have a Mac Pro with Photoshop CS3 Extended and I use certain combinations of features there that I have learned to count on and would miss if I had to start hunting around in "help" and so on.

So in essence what Adobe calls the Status Bar ( a unified group of specific features in one place ) is just not available with an I Book G4.

If you really believe that the Status Bar, as described and named in Osborne's PE2 The Complete Reference, will not appear as the book describes in appearence and location, and as I am used to on my old PC, tell me and you have answered my question if not "how" at least "cannot" and we can finish this.

Earl
Yes, I see the info about how to use the tool that is currently selected only in the Windows version. The Mac version does it too but in a different way. In Mac you have to have the Hints palette selected. You can select that under the Window Menubar. Why Adobe made it one way for one operating system and another way for the other is beyond me. But, we're stuck with it.

My friend, we are victims of Adobe software developers here. They made this software version different for 2 operating systems with both installers ON THE SAME CD. What a crock of crap. This might be a case where an Adobe application was developed a little better for Windows than Mac.

If you want to keep using this in Mac, I guess you have to get used to how things work a little differently on the Mac version.
Rob
Rob, Mac Genius
Rob
Rob
Rob, Mac Genius