Hello, and thank you for asking your question, with JustAnswer.com/Mac.
I am Sr. Mac Tech Support Specialist, TD, glad to assist you.
• -ARCHIVE AND INSTALL-
• Start up from your Mac OS X Install Disc 1 or Install DVD. Please remember to use the install disc that matches the current operating system your system haves.
Usually, you can start from the disc by putting it in your computer, restarting, and holding the C key.
• Hold the C key until you see a White screen, with a Gray Apple icon and eventually a Spinning gear.
• Release the C key only after you see the Spinning gear.
-Your mac will now boot from the disc and load into the Installer environment.
• Select your language. The Welcome to the Mac OS X
Installer window appears.
What you want to do now is from the Installer Menu bar, select Utilities>Disk Utility
• you will now be within the Disk Utility application. This is where I will show you how to zero out your hard drive, so you can perform a clean installation of your Mac OS X without any hinderances.
• This is the default window you will first see when Disk Utility opens.
• Select your hard drive.
• There will be a partition tab that you can select if you want to partition your hard drive. Once you have partitioned your drive the way you desire,
• Then select the Erase tab.
• This is the window you are going to see and use in order to erase your hard drive
• What you will need to do now, is click the Security Options button
• Depending on which option you would prefer per the descriptions of the selections listed, I would recommend you to select either Don't Erase Data
or Zero Out Data
as this will clear your hard drive in a standard erase or a low level
format (Zero Out Data), in order to make your hard drive ready to install your Mac OS X version of software.
• Once you have made your choice, click Ok to commit your choice.
• Now commence to the Erase process.
• Once the hard drive has been erased, click on Disk Utility from the menu bar above and quit the application from the menu.
This will return you back to the Installer window where you can follow the steps below to now install your version of Mac OS X
Back from the Installer window:
• Click Continue. The Important Information window appears.
• Follow the prompts until you get to the licensing agreement screen
• An agreement sheet appears. If you agree with
the license agreement, click Agree. Then Select a
Destination window appears.
• Click the volume that you wish to install to (your primary
• Click Options. The installation options sheet appears.
• Upgrade or if not available, select Erase and Install.
• Select the volume which already has Mac OS X installed.
• Click OK.
• Click Continue to begin the installation.
• Once the Erase and Install is completed, when you reach your desktop be
sure to run all Software updates to bring your new
Mac OS X directory back up to current.
Let me know if this helps, I will be watching for any updates or questions you may have regarding this procedure.
If you have any more questions, regarding your technical issue, please feel free to reply to this post as I am always ready to assist. Thank you!